5.5 g Or Classic or something else. SQ-wise, which is better?
Nov 4, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 24
Since you don't want a portable amp you're comparing headphone-outs. If that's the case a lot of people here find that Cowon, Kenwood, iRiver, etc products offer better headphone-outs.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

ipod classic line out > 3.5mm female LOD > attenuator > hphones.

So... This + This would give me better SQ than iPod's HP out?

How much better?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaldaim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... This + This would give me better SQ than iPod's HP out?

How much better?
very_evil_smiley.gif

thats the stuff.

suck it and see, most line outs are better than HP outs. less muck in the way.

a lot of it depends on you, if you are uber golden ears then you will get a great benefit, if you are less critcal eared then it wont be as noticeable.

all things in audio are about a very low level upgrade, not giant leaps!

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 24
All iPods sound pretty much the same. Get the one that is cheapest per gig. That would probably be the Classic. If you are using portable cans, there's no need for an amp. A dock is good if you plan to plug it in your stereo. They can be had for about $20.

See ya
Steve

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a lot of it depends on you, if you are uber golden ears then you will get a great benefit, if you are less critcal eared then it wont be as noticeable.

I have Shure E500's and had a Cowon iAudio X5l. The X5l broke, so now I'm stuck using my old 20gb 4g ipod. The SQ difference is cryworthy, so I'm looking for a temporary solution until I can afford a new box and or amp.

I think I'll give this a shot. I have the attenuator already, so $10 is reasonable if it helps.

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All iPods sound pretty much the same. Get the one that is cheapest per gig. That would probably be the Classic. If you are using portable cans, there's no need for an amp. A dock is good if you plan to plug it in your stereo. They can be had for about $20.

See ya
Steve

Ding ding ding, correct answer! What does the man win?

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 24
Get an old Iriver H 1x0 series, 20 or 40gb + rockbox + flac files. Clean audio, flexible interconnects incl Optical in and out.

QQQ, do u use that nick on other AV sites?

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All iPods sound pretty much the same. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ding ding ding, correct answer! What does the man win?

Nothing because thats not correct.
basshead.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 24
The Ipod may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I like the old fashioned one that I have to slice and to me, tastes better and it's more versatile.

I also have a pair of speakers that weigh 150lbs each. I like em better than any DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back