5 2.1 speakers....
Jan 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

xtasi

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-speaker-2.1-channel-subwoofer,2835.html

Now Tom's Hardware isn't exactly the place I'd go to for audio reviews, but they happened to have recently reviewed 5 sub-$250 2.1 speaker systems.  Now, I'm looking to buy some speakers soon, and I was wondering what you guys thought of the review.  The corsair sp 2500 looks interesting to me.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 24
Points to note:

1) SP2500 have 232W while Z-623 has 200W
2) SP2500 costs $260 while Z-623 costs $140 (amazon.com).
3) Z-623 have THX certification

According to Tom'sHardware sound quality wise SP2500 & Z-623 are identical. Both have the same sonic feel & character in their sound. SP2500 have more options in the wired remote that Z-623 lacks. On the other hand Z-623 is a good $120 cheaper.

Say, I will get the the Z-623 for sure since it gives me same sound quality & sonic feel of SP2500 at $120 less. Or I can spend $20 over SP2500 to get two Z-623. Now I have 400W instead of SP2500's 232W. Just Kidding!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I can live with 32W less power at the top & also without the options in the control pod of SP2500.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 24
Manufactures often play with the figures a bit so that extra 32watts counts for nothing, also THX certification doesn't count for much aswell i'd ignore it, i thought the SP2500 would sound alot better, it has bigger mid-range drivers and proper tweeters and surely the sub cant sound as farty and confused as a logitech sub, you should consider the edifier s530 sound quality wise the edifier will be miles ahead.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Manufactures often play with the figures a bit so that extra 32watts counts for nothing, also THX certification doesn't count for much aswell i'd ignore it, i thought the SP2500 would sound alot better, it has bigger mid-range drivers and proper tweeters and surely the sub cant sound as farty and confused as a logitech sub, you should consider the edifier s530 sound quality wise the edifier will be miles ahead.

Midrange drivers & tweeters does not always gives you excellent top end in the frequency spectrum. 

Tom'sHarware on SP2500: "The Corsair SP2500 sounds good to my ear, whether playing back hard-hitting games or all sorts of music. I did notice a kind of hollowness in the mid-range—with vocals particularly—and this does reflect the valley we saw in the frequency response at 3.5 kHz."

Z-623's single aluminium phase plug driver does better job than the SP2500 separate midrange & tweeters drivers put together.

Tom'sHarware on Z-623 : "It boasts a flat frequency response with gobs of bass available for games and music at your command. There’s even a bit of brilliance on the high end."

So next time, do not access audio quality of a product by the number of drivers. Better go for the audio frequency graph. Also the "flat frequency response" as quoted by Tom'sHarware comes courtesy of "THX".

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 24
Seperate drivers generally do a better job because they have less frequences each to emit and can get the right sort of sound being the right size for the job theres a reason you don't see 5" tweeters, also it's a fact that bigger drivers move more air and have a lower frequence response, i wouldn't describe the Z623 frequencey range as flat , a flat frequence responace means the range of frequences the speaker handles are played at the same volume, thats not the case with the logitechs massive mid-range dip and mid-low hump and then bass roll off, i own both the z2300 and edifier s730 , the z2300 has THX written on it the s730 doesn't, and by far the edifier sounds much neutral and better in everyway, writing THX on something doesn't make it sound any better.     

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
Seperate drivers generally do a better job because they have less frequences each to emit and can get the right sort of sound being the right size for the job theres a reason you don't see 5" tweeters, also it's a fact that bigger drivers move more air and have a lower frequence response, i wouldn't describe the Z623 frequencey range as flat , a flat frequence responace means the range of frequences the speaker handles are played at the same volume, thats not the case with the logitechs massive mid-range dip and mid-low hump and then bass roll off, i own both the z2300 and edifier s730 , the z2300 has THX written on it the s730 doesn't, and by far the edifier sounds much neutral and better in everyway, writing THX on something doesn't make it sound any better.     

Which Logitech are you referring to? Z-2300 or Z-623? Or both are same to you? Have you seen the audio frequency graph of S730. Is so kindly post. I want to see how S730 being a 2.1 manages to cross over from the subwoofer to the satellites with out the "hump" you are referring to.

According to you a 2.1 with separate subwoofer, midrange & tweeter[SP2500] is going to have less of a "hump" than the a 2.1 with just a subwoofer & a full range[Z-623]. 

Looking at the published frequency response chart below of Tom'sHardware, I can hardly find any difference between Z-623 & SP2500 in the "hump" section of the graph. Note that SP2500 with a separate midrange driver & tweeter makes a dip at 500Hz and also creates a valley between 2-5kHz range where cows can graze. Z-623 with a single full range driver have much better frequency response that SP2500 between 200Hz to 20kHz hands down.

Remember THX is not a rubber stamp. This certification have some special meanings in terms of frequency response, signal to noise ratio & total harmonic distortion.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 24
I never said it smoothly crosses over with no dip, just that it will be a lesser dip than the z2300, there is no audio graph for the s730 but i own both the z2300 & s730 its so obvious that the s730 has better midrange, on the z2300 you can hear where it dips, on the s730 you can still hear where it dips but too a much lesser exstent, the z2300 uses exactly the same 2.5" drivers as the z623 just the z623 has a downgraded sub and amp.
No i said the SP2500 bigger 3" driver will handle lower frequences better than the z623 2.5" driver and there should be a lesser dip at the crossover , but with the dip you also have to take in to acount the crossover that the sub and satilites are set to, at the crossover section of the graph the SP2500's dip is slightly higher than the z623's dip meaning slightly better midrange for the SP2500 , and also since we don't know how the graph was tested and made we also don't know how accurate it is.

THX to me is just a rubber stamp, it terms of frequence responace it means a netrual or close to netrual frequence responce, but as you can see by the z623 frequence responace graph is not netrual at all, signal to noise ratio isn't something you can really hear unless it's really bad same for thd, the thd of the z2300 is 10% , the thd of the edifier s730 is also 10% , the signal to noise ratio of the z2300 is 100db, the signal to noise ratio of the edifier is greater than 85db, so a couple of extra db of the signal to noise ratio of the logitech gets it a THX stamp, that couple of db would not even be audioable.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
I never said it smoothly crosses over with no dip, just that it will be a lesser dip than the z2300, there is no audio graph for the s730 but i own both the z2300 & s730 its so obvious that the s730 has better midrange, on the z2300 you can hear where it dips, on the s730 you can still hear where it dips but too a much lesser exstent, the z2300 uses exactly the same 2.5" drivers as the z623 just the z623 has a downgraded sub and amp.
No i said the SP2500 bigger 3" driver will handle lower frequences better than the z623 2.5" driver and there should be a lesser dip at the crossover , but with the dip you also have to take in to acount the crossover that the sub and satilites are set to, at the crossover section of the graph the SP2500's dip is slightly higher than the z623's dip meaning slightly better midrange for the SP2500 , and also since we don't know how the graph was tested and made we also don't know how accurate it is.

Haha, I caught you now. You have no knowledge regarding audio frequency or how it works.

You said : " at the crossover section of the graph the SP2500's dip is slightly higher than the z623's dip meaning slightly better midrange for the SP2500"

Here you are referring to the 100-150Hz region. That is not midrange but bass range.

Look what Tom'sharware says:

"Before we discuss the results, here’s a quick legend of the audio spectrum:

1. The sub-bass range is from 20 Hz to 60 Hz, and it isn’t heard so much as felt. Sound in this range provides a sense of power.
  2. The bass range is from 60 Hz to 250 Hz. This is where you can hear the bass rhythm, especially in the 90 Hz to 200 Hz area.
  3. The lower mid-range is from 250 Hz to 500 Hz. It’s also called the bass presence range.
  4. The mid-range is from 500 Hz to 2 kHz. This is where you can hear instruments and vocals.
  5. The upper mid-range is from 2 kHz to 4 kHz. Higher instruments and most vocals are heard here, and the human ear is very sensitive to changes in this range.
  6. The presence range is from 4 kHz to 6 kHz. Too little sound in this range will make the audio seem like it’s coming from farther away.
  7. The brilliance range is 6 kHz to 20 kHz. This is where you hear harmonics and clarity, and accented sound in this range will make it seem crisper and clearer with higher fidelity."

Also both the satellites of Z-623 & SP2500 starts from 150Hz region. So how can SP2500 midrange driver on the satellite handle 100-150Hz?
The region from 20-150Hz is handled by the subwoofer for both the systems.

You also said: "and also since we don't know how the graph was tested and made we also don't know how accurate it is."

So, you are questioning Tom'sHardware authenticity where all the five systems are tested at the same condition & specifications. Well, the table may turn otherwise. Now I may question you how authentic is your claim about S730 is better than Z-2300. Or is it because you just bought a new set and want a show off.

My advice to you : "Learn before you speak" 

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
THX to me is just a rubber stamp, it terms of frequence responace it means a netrual or close to netrual frequence responce, but as you can see by the z623 frequence responace graph is not netrual at all, signal to noise ratio isn't something you can really hear unless it's really bad same for thd, the thd of the z2300 is 10% , the thd of the edifier s730 is also 10% , the signal to noise ratio of the z2300 is 100db, the signal to noise ratio of the edifier is greater than 85db, so a couple of extra db of the signal to noise ratio of the logitech gets it a THX stamp, that couple of db would not even be audioable.

Ha ha ha ha ha................. I cannot stop. Total noob.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 24
In the terms of a 2.1 speaker system, what the sub plays is bass range , what the mid-woofer plays is midrange, and what the tweeter plays is the high range, yes even though its not techinally correct thats how i consider it as you generally crossover a sub <150hz , just because i'm labeling the frequence range slightly differently to you it makes me wrong, then you present the obviously correct way to label it calling the high end , "presence range" and "brilliance range" and then give me this description "This is where you hear harmonics and clarity, and accented sound in this range will make it seem crisper and clearer with higher fidelity." whats more you copied it from a website you know even less about the frequence range than me.
I never said anything about SP2500 midrange driver handling 100-150hz, but if put on a full range amp it probley could.
I wasn't present when the graph was made so i have every write to question it's authenticity, my claim is based my experence listening too both sets for months same room/music etc and i couldn't care which 1 sounds better as i have them both and can simply use which set i prefer, my claim is no more or less authentic than that graph, and your welcome to come round and A/B both sets anytime.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

Ha ha ha ha ha................. I cannot stop. Total noob.

Signal to noise ratio means nothing unless you know how it was measured, and it also depends on the source a cd generally has a S/N ratio of 93db, rating a piece of equipment on manufactures S/N  ratio is silly, the discrepancy is so bad a set with a 'lowly' 80db S/N ratio from a good source could be super quiet and a 107db 'awesome' piece has audible noise.
The noise can be anything including interference getting in though unsheilded wires.
THD like it's says adds total harmonic disortion adds harmonics to the oringal audio signal , the harmonics added can even be pleasing as they are musically related to the oringal audio signal.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
In the terms of a 2.1 speaker system, what the sub plays is bass range , what the mid-woofer plays is midrange, and what the tweeter plays is the high range, yes even though its not techinally correct thats how i consider it as you generally crossover a sub <150hz , just because i'm labeling the frequence range slightly differently to you it makes me wrong, then you present the obviously correct way to label it calling the high end , "presence range" and "brilliance range" and then give me this description "This is where you hear harmonics and clarity, and accented sound in this range will make it seem crisper and clearer with higher fidelity." whats more you copied it from a website you know even less about the frequence range than me.
I never said anything about SP2500 midrange driver handling 100-150hz, but if put on a full range amp it probley could.
I wasn't present when the graph was made so i have every write to question it's authenticity, my claim is based my experence listening too both sets for months same room/music etc and i couldn't care which 1 sounds better as i have them both and can simply use which set i prefer, my claim is no more or less authentic than that graph, and your welcome to come round and A/B both sets anytime.

Your quote : "....yes even though its not techinally correct thats how i consider it...

AWARD WINNING SENTENCE OF THE DAY. 

Very nooby answer with vague remarks. Sound & its technology follow the laws of physics. So better be technically correct.

Also try to be more concise, specific, to the point & objective. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
Signal to noise ratio means nothing unless you know how it was measured, and it also depends on the source a cd generally has a S/N ratio of 93db, rating a piece of equipment on manufactures S/N  ratio is silly, the discrepancy is so bad a set with a 'lowly' 80db S/N ratio from a good source could be super quiet and a 107db 'awesome' piece has audible noise.
The noise can be anything including interference getting in though unsheilded wires.
THD like it's says adds total harmonic disortion adds harmonics to the oringal audio signal , the harmonics added can even be pleasing as they are musically related to the oringal audio signal.

Your quote: "THD like it's says adds total harmonic disortion adds harmonics to the oringal audio signal , the harmonics added can even be pleasing as they are musically related to the oringal audio signal."

AWARD AFTER AWARD. 

All the audiophiles out there, drop all your $40,000 audio equipments in the pond, since a new theory of THD has be invented.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 24
No need to fight for low quality multimedia speakers.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back