5.1 Speaker placement ~ dilemma
Oct 5, 2009 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
I'm going to rig up a 5.1 system in my office/den area which has a pretty awkward shape and I'm wondering what the best way is to go about it...

5speaker-setup.jpg

The majority of time it will just be me at my desk, however I'd also like to use it on occasion for movie viewing from the couch at the back of the room, so... do I put the speakers all the way at the back for the once a week I watch a movie on the couch, or just set them up to my 110°?

Dilemma 2... yes it doesn't stop there. The wall behind my desk is sloped down (Attik/loft) so the front 3 speakers would either need to be on the slanted ceiling pointing down OR FR & FL on the wall at either side of my monitors and the center just sat on my desk.

... What if I just put each of the 4 speakers in the very corners of the room facing in, what would this do?

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 4
The cables mess you have to install may not be worthit. I would just install a good 2 or 2.1 system and make it grow from there if there is a need. Get two yamaha HS80M or two adam A7 monitors and then add a sub if you feel you need it. The movies will sound great. THEN add rears if you miss them.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 4
Sorry, I'm not sure about what I'm seeing. What are the orange speakers? Is this a 7.1 system?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cables mess you have to install may not be worthit. I would just install a good 2 or 2.1 system and make it grow from there if there is a need. Get two yamaha HS80M or two adam A7 monitors and then add a sub if you feel you need it. The movies will sound great. THEN add rears if you miss them.

5.1 is extremely desirable for movies, and once you hear a properly set up system, it's hard to go back to stereo. Very hard. Any cable mess can be dealt with with patience and a little creativity.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Well this is an older 5.1 system that I already have and want to make use of it.

My question is where should I place the speakers in the above illustration; 90-110° over my shoulder (orange) or at the back of the room (red) ~ I read that 'rear' speakers should be at the side of you but with the couch at the back that would push the speakers to the very back of the room, I'm trying to find out how the sound would be before I put up the brackets. For instance if I put the speakers at the back of the room (red) should I then space out my FL & FR speakers more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back