5.1 PC speakers advice
Jul 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Inb4nope

New Head-Fier
Hi guys
I'm looking for some great 5.1 speakers under 300$.

1st priority is the Music.
2nd priority is gaming

Music genres i listen to:
Indie-rock / Indie-pop (Arctic Monkeys, The strokes, The Kooks, Two Door Cinema Club, etc.)
Alternative/Punk (Sum 41, Blink 182, etc.)
Some electronica (Ellie Goulding, AWOLNATION etc.)
Some folk (Mumfords and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, etc.)
And once in a while some Metal.

I only play FPS games. (Battlefield 3, Call Of Duty, Borderlands, etc.)

I'm not a bass freak but i like The ocasional punch.

Any recomendations or ideas are welcome.
Thank you

EDIT: I'm from Europe!

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Logitech Z906 5.1 computer speaker system.

Might find a used HTiB (Home Theater in a Box) 5.1 system.

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 7
A good set of stereo speakers can get you good enough positioning that a 5.1 setup is only needed if you want absolute precise location of anyone in earshot (like for competitive gaming, then a headset would be a better option).

I have had a couple of 5.1 setups (Logitech X-540 and Onkyo HT-690) and they work nice, but lack in areas a good set of bookshelf speakers would do.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/Body_beater/IMG_20130723_121945_974_zps19975811.jpg

I just recently built those and with the amp they came out to be right at $300. They are my favorite setup thus far, nearfield they have enough sub bass to not need a subwoofer (but I am building one anyways) and are incredible with some distance between you and them (just lack a little more in the sub bass frequencies).

To the point, a set of quality bookshelf speakers on an amp > inexpensive 5.1 setups. Im not much help when it comes to actually picking out a set you can buy since I am more into the DIY scene, but there are some easy DIY boxes on parts-express.com from Dayton that will sound good, fit the budget, and give you a little insight on the inner workings of speaker design while not needing to cut any wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back