5.1 Headphones sound rubbish
Jun 5, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #17 of 20
Firstly lol. Secondly i guess youre right. I mean im still certain that somethings wrong as noone in their right minds would touch these headphones if they sounded like this normally. But im just gonna return them and get some quality stereo headphones for the same price. I dont want to get too complicated with stuff like cmss3d, mainly because i have no idea what that is. And btw its definately not my sound card as my plantronics work even better with it. Too bad their durability sucks ass. I stepped on the wire while it was at full length and the headband actually snapped instead of the plug coming out. Also the right speaker has separated from the headband as is dangling with just a wire. They dont even look like headphones anymore XD

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
Let me be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR when I say this:

5.1 headphones/headsets PALE in comparison to a great pair of stereo headphones that utilize Dolby Headphone or other virtual surround processing.

With something like the Mixamp, the AD700s, K701/702, DT770 Pro 80s will trump ANY 5.1 headset in actually sounding like surround sound. Not only will they fool you into believing it's surround, but there won't be any gaps in the sound vs a 5.1 headphone, and the sound quality itself will be MUCH better than 5.1 headphones.

Just believe me. My headphone obsession MAINLY stem from how good they are with video games. I have tried MANY, including 5.1 headsets like the Tritton Ax Pros. Skip the 5.1 garbage and focus on something like the Mixamp + stereo headphones.

Virtual surround works so well, it can turn a rather basic headphone into a great gaming one. One example is the KSC75. Not known for it's gaming prowess (who in their right mind would try this? I WOULD!), they become a POWERHOUSE when you pair it up with the Mixamp for gaming. Good soundstage, great positioning, and just $15 or less!

I can't do anything....except say....^^ THIS.
And that's the exact reason he's getting terrible sound quality.

I tried a set of 5.1 headphones years ago, and when I tried to play Battlefield 1942 with them, the sounds sounded so strange and distorted, I don't think I ever returned a piece of hardware as fast as that.  They may have improved since 2005 level, but compared to something nice like a MMX 300 or DT 770 with an astro mixamp, they're going to sound like trash.  The only thing you get out of it, is possibly better positioning (if the 5.1 can is decent enough; bad 5.1 cans do even much worse) and that's *IT*.

And, I don't know if HRTF (realtek cards support this, don't they?) works with headphones or not, but it may (or may not ? I don't know) be the same thing as CMSS 3D.  And CMSS is NOT hard to understand OR use.  It's just Creative's version of Dolby Headphone. 

Now, you said you have an audigy 2 SE.  I do NOT know if that is even a real audigy or not;it may not be.  But you can check the creative labs forums for unofficial Daniel K audigy 2 drivers, because the latest drivers add Dolby Headphone support to the Audigy 2 cards.  If it doesn't work, then grab a cheap x-fi gamer card and you can activate CMSS headphone mode when you set the card to headphone.  Just uncheck synch with control panel, as you want the games to be outputting 5.1, NOT headphone, or you won't get any surround at all.

The other route is the $130 astro mixamp, but you will need a card capable of outputting a 5.1 dolby digital signal through coax or spdif optical connections (and non-titanium versions of Creative xfi cards require you to buy the DDL connect pack for around 4 bucks...)

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 20
What 5.1 multiple drivers headset have you tried? If any, what did you use to decode dolby digital to analog 6 channels?

Quote:
Let me be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR when I say this:

5.1 headphones/headsets PALE in comparison to a great pair of stereo headphones that utilize Dolby Headphone or other virtual surround processing.

With something like the Mixamp, the AD700s, K701/702, DT770 Pro 80s will trump ANY 5.1 headset in actually sounding like surround sound. Not only will they fool you into believing it's surround, but there won't be any gaps in the sound vs a 5.1 headphone, and the sound quality itself will be MUCH better than 5.1 headphones.

Just believe me. My headphone obsession MAINLY stem from how good they are with video games. I have tried MANY, including 5.1 headsets like the Tritton Ax Pros. Skip the 5.1 garbage and focus on something like the Mixamp + stereo headphones.

Virtual surround works so well, it can turn a rather basic headphone into a great gaming one. One example is the KSC75. Not known for it's gaming prowess (who in their right mind would try this? I WOULD!), they become a POWERHOUSE when you pair it up with the Mixamp for gaming. Good soundstage, great positioning, and just $15 or less!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back