5.1 headphone?
Aug 3, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 25
That leaves me with one more question;

could anybody enlight me with what probably is the basics for you about the 'bass starting from 50Hz' thing. Where should a good headphone start from?

thanks.

Aug 3, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #18 of 25
Maybe Zalman is just honest with their freq.resp.
wink.gif
(eg. the response range is +/- 3dB)

Aug 3, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by esp
That leaves me with one more question;

could anybody enlight me with what probably is the basics for you about the 'bass starting from 50Hz' thing. Where should a good headphone start from?

thanks.

Well, since the human ear can't perceive lower than 20hz, and the nature of headphones doesnt allow lower "sound" to be felt, 20hz is what your shooting for, for both soundcard and headphone.

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #21 of 25
Note that the frequency response ranges given by many manufacturers are simply wishful thinking. Zalman also stated that their cans start from 20Hz, and 50Hz was all they could really produce in a test performed by an online retailer. What you can trust, however, are frequency response graphs like these available at headphone.com. Headphones that don't drop noticeably below 35-30 Hz will provide you with a really nice, deep bass impact. Big companies like Sennheiser or Grado don't lie about their frequency response, but they sometimes forget to mention the tolerance of the measurements, and this is where the 'independent' frequency graphs and user reviews come in handy.

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 25
i own the pioneer 800s... and (especially considering the price) they rock... I also have nice receiver/speaker setup and in an apartment setting, the headphones can't really be beat... they might not be "true" 5.1 but it's rather tough for the ear to distinguish... dialogue comes out perfect/clear without the other channels interfering (e.g. being too loud - I run into this because I turn the volume down during loud action sequences because I'm in an apartment)... i love 'em

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takashi
If you want 5.1 surround for GAME, Zalman and other 5.1 headphones will work (don't know if it sounds good or not). DIR800C/1000C only works as 2ch headphones.
For DVD, both will work. 5.1 headphones via 5.1ch output, DIR800C/1000C via S/PDIF. With Dolby Headphone software for DVD, you can just use ordinary headphones.

All you have to do is buy either an nForce2 AMD-motherboard with the SoundStorm audio chip or, preferrably, one of the new Intel boards with "Dolby Digital Live" in order to enjoy wireless surround sound from the computer. Also, for those interested in wireless RF surround headphones I'd recommend the Philips SBC-HD1500 as an alternative to these IR Pioneer headphones...

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by snarfy
So, the whole idea of 5.1 headphones is bull? Or just the cheap ones with improper drivers?

The idea to use separate drivers for each channel is problematic, because they have to use several cheap drivers instead of just one quality pair, to keep the price down. Also, the distance between these drivers is negligible in the sense that headphone sound these distances can be cleverly simulated with DSP processes like Dolby Headphone on just one pair of quality drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back