5.1 Headphone repair
Jun 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Gamemako

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I'm sitting here working on an old pair of Medusa 5.1 gaming headphones (they're used for gaming, dammit -- I know their sound quality isn't great, but the positioning allows me to pick the angle of a hunter from across the map) which has lost the front right speaker. Here's my problem: I can't figure out what's wrong. I haven't been able to find a broken wire or anything. There's also a suspiciously-loose wire which doesn't seem to power anything -- it all speakers seem to be working except for the front right, but the wire doesn't activate the front right channel. Curiously, the wire does make the speaker work if I turn on speaker fill, so it should go to something. Just not sure what. I thought it was the wire in the left ear, but I'm not so sure at the moment. There's no obvious damage, though it's certainly no small mess at this point. Any ideas?

Army of photos attached.

Imageshack - a400033 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400034 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400034 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400035 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400036 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400037 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400038 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400040 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400041 - Uploaded by gamemako
Imageshack - a400043 - Uploaded by gamemako

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 3
First thing I would do is check the wires with a multimeter. If there is a broken signal in the wire it will need to be replaced. If the wires work out fine then the speaker is damaged somehow.

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing I would do is check the wires with a multimeter. If there is a broken signal in the wire it will need to be replaced. If the wires work out fine then the speaker is damaged somehow.

No need; the speaker can be powered with that stray line. The speaker is fine; the problem is definitely in the wire somewhere. I just need to figure out which and where. I'll pull out the multi and see if I can't detect a voltage through the lines.

//EDIT: I picked it up and pulled on the wire and got a flash of sound from the right side. I even have a rough idea of where the break is, but I have to figure out how to fix it. Hacking the entire thing apart to access the wire will not be easy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back