5.1 Computer Speakers
Aug 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

baxbunny

New Head-Fier
I'm just curious as to what people think of those 5.1 computer speaker set ups. The ones that come with the 3 3.5mm analog plugs that plug into ur computers soundcard or motherboard.
I have an old old old set from Altec Lanseng, and they're good for when I game and the surround sound lets me hear behind me.
They're also pretty good for movies too.
So whats your take on them? Useless? Get a reciever with 5.1 and toslink or coax them out? Useful?

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 7
I used to have 5.1 speakers. However, I settled with a 2.0 system ever since I went to college. However, a good 2 piece or 3 piece set sounds better than a 5.1 system of similar pricing, I found (at least for music). For movies and games though, having the extra speakers is fun
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 7
I had Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 setup way back when. At the time it was one of the better speaker systems tailored for computer use.

Then I "upgraded" to a Logitech Z-640. Sure, it had 5 speakers and a "subwoofer", but it was a muddy, boomy, distorted disaster. It gave me decent positioning for gaming, but I only tolerated the sound quality for that use. Music was unlistenable. Even podcasts sucked because voices were always incredibly wrong.

Now I have a pair of Swans M200mkII speakers. Got em cheap (well under $200) and really like them. The only fault is not the speakers, but my room layout, which hypes the 100Hz region. When we move I plan to rectify that too.

If you're serious about 5.1 in a small room where you'd normally game, I consider the bare minimum in quality to be something like the Energy Take Classic, which is a steal and does well with music (very surprising in this size and class). $200 for the 5 speakers, another $200 for their surprisingly decent sub. Shop around aggressively and find an entry level receiver for another $200-$300.

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 7
Hmm maybe i'll stick with my sucky 5.1 setup and use an amp and 2 speaker set up for music/ everything else that isnt gaming or movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back