5.1 Amp with an HDMI Input?
Feb 17, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorossi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 2.0 headphone out, that would be.

Why on Earth would it make "no sense at all"? There are 5.1 headphones. There are 5.1 sources which require HDMI and amplification. There are 5.1 headphone amps. There are 5.1 amps with HDMI. With this product, I could easily listen to lossless 5.1 on headphones. Without it, I can't. Seems pretty logical to me.

If you know about a product as such then you have solved your own problem.

There is no such thing as an headphone amp with HDMI. HDMI is a video/audio standard. If you want a "headphone amp" with HDMI look in to home theater receivers. Many people have already told you this but you are too ignorant to understand this. Look up HDMI before you start calling us idiots.
HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 94
popcorn.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 94
Yeah he would definietly need either a av processor, or av amplifier. Both have pre-outs for the 6 channels, all then needs is a 5.1 headphone amplifier (or three standard headphone amps), as long as his phones have six cables (or 3 x 3.5mm cables( No need for HDMI input on the headphone amp.

A HDMI "box" is more than just a switcher, he'd need decoding. In either case either the BD player or AV amp/av processor will do that.

I know there is a 5.1 headphone system with a seperate box, with 6 channel input. But it's PC grade not Hi-Fi Audiophile.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 94
I think I understand what the OP is getting at, however, there is no such product in existence nor will there ever be. There is NO market for such a product, ever. Headphone amps themselves are already a niche market, to make a niche market in a niche market is ridiculous from a manufacturer's perspective.

You'd HAVE to buy a AV receiver capable of processing LPCM (pair with PS3) or capable of decoding bitstreamed HDMI. The price difference is 100-200 dollars between the two. You'd have to find one with pre-outs to route the signal to the headphone amp.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 94
But even if he buys a av amp, he'll still need 6 channels of amp for his phones. All the amp is doing is processing & decoding, plus channel levels & master volume, pre-outs.

All that can be done by a decent BD player. He just needs one with variable output 5.1 RCA output.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorossi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why on Earth would it make "no sense at all"? There are 5.1 headphones. There are 5.1 sources which require HDMI and amplification. There are 5.1 headphone amps. There are 5.1 amps with HDMI. With this product, I could easily listen to lossless 5.1 on headphones. Without it, I can't. Seems pretty logical to me.

no there aren't, yes there are, no there aren't, no there aren't

lets educate:

1) all quality headphones are stereo

2) "5.1" headphones are $20-$30 gimmicks for kids who play counterstike to feel hip

3) stereo is just fine for music reproduction (oh by the way, 99% of all music is mastered in stereo, because the mixing requirement for 5.1 music is a pain in the @$$ (we're talking new equipment and a lot of extra work on the part of the engineer))

4) there are not 5.1 headphone amps

5) there is amplifier that accepts HDMI input, there are preamplifiers and A/V receivers with HDMI capabilities, but no amplifier in human history takes HDMI input

6) your question is pure crap, and you've based it on pure crap, garbage in, garbage out

basically, you want something that doesn't exist, because you want to upsample and mangle the hell out of your music with DDL or whatever (you show me a studio album released in DTS Master Audio, I'll give you a nickel), in reality, a quality stereo source and lossless stereo media (i.e: CD-DA, SACD, DVD-A, or flac/WMA Pro/etc) through quality stereo hp's will give you basically what you're looking for

as far as a separate decoder, I have basically the same thing linux is talking about (mine is Technics and black, and has a fancy remote, but it does the same exact thing, DD and DTS 5.1 from S/PDIF to analog, no HDMI inputs, thats generated elsewhere in the system (which I really really don't want to explain))

such a decoder will handle both 5.1 -> 2.0 conversion (at least mine does, and linux is saying his does as well), as well as stereo D/A duties (mine does, and I assume his will, if its anything similar) with PCM data

now as far as the whole "people content to stay with Pro-Logic", you're dead right I am, and I still enjoy my Laserdiscs as such, not to mention the half dozen or so DVDs I own that aren't stereo or aren't 5.1 (yes, I have DVDs mastered in Dolby Digital Mono, aren't infant standards fun to adopt?), and I also happen to enjoy my VHS collection in stereo, what a hethen I am for not burning it all to the ground and getting an 11.2 surround system for Bluray and nothing but

the truth is, there is no difference between "high def" formats and "normal" formats, lossy vs lossless is a different thing, DVD's can contain more or less lossless audio tracks (they have the storage capacity for it), not to mention that I doubt you're really able to hear the difference between ~768kbit and the 1411 its mastered in (who cares how good your speakers are, no speakers are "high def", its all marketing)

a "high def" format just adds more noise, and lets teach you how this work too:

its all about dynamic range, so lets look at 16-bit audio, which is about the limit of human hearing, because to get 16-bit audio reproduced properly, assuming it was mastered properly, you need about 100 dB of dynamic range (yay for half-assed appromixations to the nearest ten from a log scale), 24-bit requires something on the range of 120-130 dB of dynamic range, in other words we're talking about the ability to capture sounds like a 747 at 10 meters or volcanic erruptions from a mile or so off, and reproduce them 1:1 uncompressed, theres a reason those guys at the airport having hearing protectors on you know (not to mention, I doubt your speakers are capable of that, and I doubt your amplifier and preamplifier setup is capable of that kind of dynamic range, VERY little equipment can approach it, let alone actually attain it)

of course theres a lot of other factors that I'm far too lazy to explain, but the basic truth is, its just extra "noise" (theres a great arguement about this in a thread that member Patrick82 started about upsampling D/As for AES/EBU output)

so now back to whats been told to you for two pages straight: your question is invalid because what you're asking for DOES. NOT. EXIST. (but you don't care, and will continue to insist it does, and that we're just lying to you for some evil gain, really, why can't you just accept that you were mistaken?) and even if it did exist in some form, it'd sound like C-R-A-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But even if he buys a av amp, he'll still need 6 channels of amp for his phones. All the amp is doing is processing & decoding, plus channel levels & master volume, pre-outs.

All that can be done by a decent BD player. He just needs one with variable output 5.1 RCA output.

afaik this doesn't exist either, I know of a few BD players with 5.1 or 7.1 RCA outs, but none with variable, mostly because HDCP more or less requires the audio never be "user usable" as analog signals (so you can't pirate material you already own *rolleyes*), but it'd be quite interesting to see such a device (I can't even think of a DVD player with 5.1 variable output to be honest, I know of a number of CDPs with 5.1 variable outs, and of course preamplifiers with 5.1 and 7.1 variable outs via XLR or RCA)

not to mention that, as you said, "5.1 headphones are poop"

and for the record, an amp is not processing ,decoding, channel leveling, or applying master volume, nor does it give you preouts, its just applying (ideally) linear gain to a signal (for someone who is so eager to complain at technical inaccuracy in other people's posts, I'm surprised)

to clarify the "5.1 headphones are poop", the best example that comes to mind is the Zalman 5.1 headset thing, which is a two or three drivers per earcup, and even if you wired them all together, you'd still blow the thing up driving it from a decent hp amp, let alone from three hp amps (to get the "5.1 effect"), its just very low quality kit

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #23 of 94
Quote:

(I can't even think of a DVD player with 5.1 variable output to be honest,

Pretty sure my Mediatek based players have variable out, that includes Oppo. Oppo 83 BD may have variable out.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #27 of 94
Those are targeted for older audiophiles with their love of all things analog. Yes iriver you were right in that you would still need a headphone amp with 6 line-ins. Nothing like that exists (nor should it).

I just disregarded the fact he wanted specifically 5.1 headphones. I agree they're just a complete gimmick. Some nice stereo headphones and a subwoofer connected to an hdmi audio capable a/v receiver will give you better imaging than 5.1 headphone.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #28 of 94
Dolby Headphone is the solution for surround sound on a headphone. Would not want to listen to music that way, but for movies sure.

5.1 headphones are crap and not really needed. You only have 2 ears, with the proper processing (Dolby Headphone) you will get pretty damn close to have the same surround effect that a speaker 5.1 setup gives you. Reason why Dolby Headphone can give much better results than pseudo 5.1 virtual speakers is because of the fact that with headphones the processor has a much better understanding where the persons ears are located.

5.1 headphones on the other hand are crap because well you try to fit that many speakers around your ear that are of decent quality. I also do not think you can get the proper separation of channels in such an enclosed space.

If the OP wants this then checkout Dolby Headphone.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #29 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dolby Headphone is the solution for surround sound on a headphone. Would not want to listen to music that way, but for movies sure.

5.1 headphones are crap and not really needed. You only have 2 ears, with the proper processing (Dolby Headphone) you will get pretty damn close to have the same surround effect that a speaker 5.1 setup gives you. Reason why Dolby Headphone can give much better results than pseudo 5.1 virtual speakers is because of the fact that with headphones the processor has a much better understanding where the persons ears are located.

5.1 headphones on the other hand are crap because well you try to fit that many speakers around your ear that are of decent quality. I also do not think you can get the proper separation of channels in such an enclosed space.

If the OP wants this then checkout Dolby Headphone.

Just clarifying, Dolby Headphone is a DSP found on some receivers. I think some HK, Marantz, and some Denon receivers have this feature. I think there are a few equivalents like Yamaha's Silent Cinema mode.

In short, any modern receiver that can process hdmi audio should have some kind of headphone DSP.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by blast8180 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just clarifying, Dolby Headphone is a DSP found on some receivers. I think some HK, Marantz, and some Denon receivers have this feature. I think there are a few equivalents like Yamaha's Silent Cinema mode.

In short, any modern receiver that can process hdmi audio should have some kind of headphone DSP.

Creative also offers some effects via CMSS

Dolby Headphone is not a DSP, its a DSP effect, there is a difference

its also available via the Asus Xonar cards (in contrast to the CMSS Headphone effects available from Audigy and X-Fi)

a number of receivers offer this feature, and they don't have to be capable of processing HDMI audio (as this feature predates the release of HDMI to the mass market)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back