4XX for $140 or 5XX for $200?
Jun 25, 2021 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oakparkmusicguy

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to get your input on this choice - I can get the Hifiman 4XX for $140 shipped. Is that enough of a deal to make it worth it over spending $200 plus shipping for the 5XX?
Some background:
- I am very treble sensitive
- I do a lot of gaming
- I already own:
— Sennheiser 58X
— Sennheiser 6XX
— Beyerdynamic DT770 & 990
— AKG K7XX

I’m looking for something with decent soundstage and imaging with a reasonably balanced frequency response.
Thank you!

Jun 25, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Thank you!
Any recommendations for a budget-ish planar? Or other headphone to add to my collection… Open or closed is fine. Been thinking about a Beyer 880 600ohm or a 177x but Beyer’s treble can be vicious.
Thought about a Meze 99 but not sure it fits my needs - mostly gaming and some classical music. (Not at the same time :)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 13
Sell the 990 and the 7XX, order the Sennheiser HD 8XX instead.

If you're insistent on HIFIMAN, take a look at the Sundara and the Arya, and from a Drop perspective take a look at the HE-X4 (or alternatively the HE-400SE Stealth Magnet edition, which is similar).

I suspect HIFIMAN will have successors or updates to the Sundara and Ananda next year, anyway.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 13
I wouldn't recommend 8XX if he's truely treble sensitive, and some people claim Hifimans have too strong treble as well. It depends on what part of treble one is sensitive to. Some are sensitive to upper-mids and can't stand shoutiness, and others seem to find 9-10k annoying. Me personally, it's 6-8k. That's the most entense, and I really disliked HD800 when I first heard it, and it was out of your avg solid-state amp.

And also, the treble forwardness will dependent on amp/source to some degree. I found HE-6 too intense with the treble at first, and then my multi-bit DAC mellowed the treble down to be tolerable level.

I generally have no issues with Hifiman headphones, but I've run into mainly peaky iems by Hifiman. Only Hifiman headphone I found unbearable was HE560, but I have not tried all Hifimans. That treble was really scratchy sounding, it was annoying.

Sundara has high upper-mids shout due to Pali-pads. It just boosts vocals way too much. So, every headphone has issues, some much more annoying than others.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 13
Update: I ended up getting the 4XX for $125 shipped. I jumped on the deal!
I agree with a post about selling some headphones - especially the DT990s. But for now I’m gonna hold on to all my headphones. I’m not opposed to selling (anyone here want a pair of 990s or heavily modded 7XX real cheap?). I‘m a music teacher so besides using the usual games, movies, music, I can use some for work and practice. Although the 4XX is serving a few of those purposes.

Anyways… Yes, the 4XX has some odd treble issues. But I find them easier to listen to than Beyers! I’m definitely keeping the 4XX. I swapped pads and did a few non-destructive mods which really did a nice job of adding bass and smoothing treble. And now that I know I like planars….and that my only closed back is the DT770…. well, I obviously need a set of closed planars…

So I have a pair arriving Saturday :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back