4th Time a Charm? - Monster Turbine Pro Gold Nightmare (Edit: 5th times ALMOST a charm)
Jun 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #31 of 60

Quote:
[size=medium][size=13.5pt]     This is crazy, I have been having the same issue with a pair of golds I recently ordered from Amazon. When I put in the right earpiece or adjust them sometimes I hear a popping sound and the volume shuts off. This only happens on the right earphone.  At first I thought it was a fit issue and when I would play around with it it would make another popping sound and then start working. When I make an adjustment to the right headphone and the sound cuts off if I jiggle the cable right near the place that it connects to the housing the sound comes back in. [/size]I think it is only the right earpiece because on the left earpiece I have a good fit, but the right side doesn't fit as well so I need to adjust it from time to time. I have tried a bunch of different tips and found the ones that work best, but they still don't fit as well as the left side.  It seems like the headphone is defective. It isn't a huge annoyance, but I figure that I paid a lot for these headphones and something like this shouldn't be happening. I am borderline obsessive compulsive in the way I take care of my electronics and headphones (I even keep my MTPG's in the box they came in when not in use because I don't want them to get dusty) so I know the fault is not mine.[/size]
[size=medium]     I just have 2 worries, one is can this problem actually damage the driver of the headphone and degrade the sound over time? This doesn't happen every time I use them, maybe about half the time, and only when I push the right earpiece deep in my ear to get a good fit. I am able to make a small adjustment and fix it, but I am worried that over time this could damage the driver and degrade sound quality. Does anyone know if this is true? My second worry is if I send them back will I get another defective pair or if all pairs will have this problem for me because of my ear's shape? I am starting to think that this only effects certain people based on differences in their ear canals. Some people might need to put the earpiece's deeper to get a better fit, causing greater pressure and the driver flex issue, others might not need to push the earpiece in deep and do not have the problem. If that is the case than I figured it wouldn't matter if I get a replacement because based on the way my ears are shaped this would happen to any replace I receive. What do you guys think? I'm debating whether I should return them or not. If I could get a pair that would permanently fix this problem that would be amazing! But I have a feeling that any pair I get this will keep happening.[/size]

It sounds like the issue my first pair had where it's not bad all the time but then sometimes gets really bad.  My right ear was worse also. 
It isnt your ears causing this, it is a defective set.  Try switching the buds for a while and see if it pops up some more.  My issues followed the bud, not the ear.
Lastly I dont know if it will effect your pair, but before I sent my first pair in, I noticed slight volume degradation in the right ear which was the turning point for sendimg them in.
From the experiences in this thread it seems like a gamble to send them in right now.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #32 of 60

Quote:
[size=medium][size=13.5pt]     This is crazy, I have been having the same issue with a pair of golds I recently ordered from Amazon. When I put in the right earpiece or adjust them sometimes I hear a popping sound and the volume shuts off. This only happens on the right earphone.  At first I thought it was a fit issue and when I would play around with it it would make another popping sound and then start working. When I make an adjustment to the right headphone and the sound cuts off if I jiggle the cable right near the place that it connects to the housing the sound comes back in. [/size]I think it is only the right earpiece because on the left earpiece I have a good fit, but the right side doesn't fit as well so I need to adjust it from time to time. I have tried a bunch of different tips and found the ones that work best, but they still don't fit as well as the left side.  It seems like the headphone is defective. It isn't a huge annoyance, but I figure that I paid a lot for these headphones and something like this shouldn't be happening. I am borderline obsessive compulsive in the way I take care of my electronics and headphones (I even keep my MTPG's in the box they came in when not in use because I don't want them to get dusty) so I know the fault is not mine.[/size]
[size=medium]     I just have 2 worries, one is can this problem actually damage the driver of the headphone and degrade the sound over time? This doesn't happen every time I use them, maybe about half the time, and only when I push the right earpiece deep in my ear to get a good fit. I am able to make a small adjustment and fix it, but I am worried that over time this could damage the driver and degrade sound quality. Does anyone know if this is true? My second worry is if I send them back will I get another defective pair or if all pairs will have this problem for me because of my ear's shape? I am starting to think that this only effects certain people based on differences in their ear canals. Some people might need to put the earpiece's deeper to get a better fit, causing greater pressure and the driver flex issue, others might not need to push the earpiece in deep and do not have the problem. If that is the case than I figured it wouldn't matter if I get a replacement because based on the way my ears are shaped this would happen to any replace I receive. What do you guys think? I'm debating whether I should return them or not. If I could get a pair that would permanently fix this problem that would be amazing! But I have a feeling that any pair I get this will keep happening.[/size]

There shouldn't be an issue like that with an expensive set like that. I got tired of shipping, waiting over and over again in hopes of a working set. I've never had a problem like this with any earphones I've had and they've all been less expensive. For the price paid, you should get a perfect set. I'm glad I went through Amazon though because Monster didn't even reply to my issue.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #33 of 60
Mike: So far, mine doesn't sound if the quality is getting worse. When I insert the right earpiece deeper to get a good seal it will sometimes make the popping sound and the sound will cut off. I can fix this by making a small adjustment, but the sound quality does not seem to have deteriorated. The popping/sound cutting off does get me worried that the driver is getting damaged. I worry that over time this will effect the sound quality. Does you guys think that this could be causing damage to the driver? I might contact Monster asking them that.

-y0-: I haven't contacted Amazon yet, but if I do end up getting them replaced I will definitely do it through Amazon rather than Monster. Before I sent them back to Amazon I wanted to check on these forums and see if there was a possibility that this defect is on all the MTPG's and that getting a replacement won't fix the problem. After reading this topic it made me think that this is a universal defect for all MTPG's and like I said in my previous post, some people might need to put the earpiece in deeper to get a better seal causing greater pressure on the driver and the driver flex issue. For people who do not need to insert the earphones in as deep as me they do not have this issue because there is not as much pressure due to the insertion not being as deep. Would that make sense? Because if that is the case than it would defeat the purpose of me exchanging these since every pair I get would have this problem since I would need to insert the right ear piece deep.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #34 of 60

Quote:
Mike: So far, mine doesn't sound if the quality is getting worse. When I insert the right earpiece deeper to get a good seal it will sometimes make the popping sound and the sound will cut off. I can fix this by making a small adjustment, but the sound quality does not seem to have deteriorated. The popping/sound cutting off does get me worried that the driver is getting damaged. I worry that over time this will effect the sound quality. Does you guys think that this could be causing damage to the driver? I might contact Monster asking them that.

-y0-: I haven't contacted Amazon yet, but if I do end up getting them replaced I will definitely do it through Amazon rather than Monster. Before I sent them back to Amazon I wanted to check on these forums and see if there was a possibility that this defect is on all the MTPG's and that getting a replacement won't fix the problem. After reading this topic it made me think that this is a universal defect for all MTPG's and like I said in my previous post, some people might need to put the earpiece in deeper to get a better seal causing greater pressure on the driver and the driver flex issue. For people who do not need to insert the earphones in as deep as me they do not have this issue because there is not as much pressure due to the insertion not being as deep. Would that make sense? Because if that is the case than it would defeat the purpose of me exchanging these since every pair I get would have this problem since I would need to insert the right ear piece deep.

Yeah, I dont know if I was totally clear, but I had the same issue.  I was trying to say that when listening very closely I heard a slight volume difference between the one that would pop all the time and the one that didnt (This was after about 6 months of use).  I dont know if it occured because of deterioration or just because it was always like that but I never noticed.  The good news is that there's a lifetime warranty if degradation does occur, so i wouldnt worry about that part.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #35 of 60
Ok, I see what you are saying Mike. I think I will just wait to see what happens, and if things start to get worse I might send them back through Amazon, and if that doesn't work i'll go through Monster. I have read a few topics similar to this and I honestly can't say that I saw one where a person was having a problem like this, got the MTPG's exchanged and they worked great afterwards. Every post I read makes it sound like everytime someone has a problem like this and returns them, they either have the same problem with the replacement or a similar one. This is what is making me think it is a defect on all the MTPG's and it only effects some people based on how deep they have to insert the earphones.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #36 of 60

Quote:
Ok, I see what you are saying Mike. I think I will just wait to see what happens, and if things start to get worse I might send them back through Amazon, and if that doesn't work i'll go through Monster. I have read a few topics similar to this and I honestly can't say that I saw one where a person was having a problem like this, got the MTPG's exchanged and they worked great afterwards. Every post I read makes it sound like everytime someone has a problem like this and returns them, they either have the same problem with the replacement or a similar one. This is what is making me think it is a defect on all the MTPG's and it only effects some people based on how deep they have to insert the earphones.

I wonder what the ratio of people that got a pair with no issues vs a pair with some kind of issue is, whether it'd be a build, sound, or remote. To me, 5 out of 5 defects were enough to make me get something different but I really liked how the coppers sounded when it was working. The last one I had was perfect except the volume of the right side was way lower then the left, my gf also confirmed this to make sure I wasn't going nuts lol.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #37 of 60

Quote:

It occurs as i am putting it in my ears as well as when its fully inserted so it happens at multiple pressures.  It also follows the ear bud when I switch ears so its not my ears (It always follows the right ear bud).  It lastly also occurs for my girlfriend too.  Its defects.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #38 of 60
I'm going to test it out myself tonight. If I try switching ears and if it happens to the same earpiece but in my other ear than I will probably send them back for a replacement. I'll post about it tonight or tomorrow.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #39 of 60

Quote:
I'm going to test it out myself tonight. If I try switching ears and if it happens to the same earpiece but in my other ear than I will probably send them back for a replacement. I'll post about it tonight or tomorrow.

Any news about the results? I ended up getting the IE8i and was amazed. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #40 of 60
I actually tried to make them have the driver flex problem and for some reason I couldn't do it in either ear. It seems random and sometimes happens sometimes doesn't. I've been more careful/gentle when putting them in and making adjustments. I think that will prevent this from happening. But if it starts up again or gets worse I will probably send them back.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #41 of 60
I wish you luck, I started a thread to see the ratio of defects and it seems pretty high. One guy even said 20-25% were defects when he used to sell them. I still believe an earphone that costs $200 plus should not have any issues.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #43 of 60

Quote:

What do you like better with IE8i than with the MTPC? I had them both at the same time and I sill have the IE8.

I like how the IE8i makes the music sound so spacious while producing good bass like the Coppers. The Coppers had slightly better clarity to my ears but from what I read, burning in the IE8i is going to make them sound even better.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #44 of 60
It was the spacious sound that got me hooked and I get the best results with the single flange UE tips. For me, they did improve with burn in. In fact, I noticed that with the IE7 and IE8 the burn in effect was more profound that with any other iem I’ve had. Enjoy!

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #45 of 60
Are these complaints limited to the pro gold and copper versions only? I couldnt imagine that these hold up worse than the regular turbines. I was considering buying the regular refurbished 50 or possibly the gold refurbished 99 but if they didnt come with full warranty, reading all the complaints have me MUCH less interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back