4G Ipod problem
Jun 17, 2005 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Omari149

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 4G 40GB Ipod, lately when I transfer songs on to it, it won't play em it'll say they're there but it will just skipp tracks through the entire album and not play any tracks. Can someone tell me how to remedy the problem and tell me whats wrong?

any helpful responses are welcomed

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 12
have you tried resetting it or better yet, reloading the firmware and then reformatting it?

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 12
That's weird, I had a similar problem, not when i transfer tracks, but when i changed information about tracks straight on the iPod. Sometimes when i changed the album name, or artist name etc, the track would not play, but like your situation, it's there. So later I tried to fix this by transferring those tracks again. It only took a second to transfer those tracks, so I say those tracks were still there, but just needs to be "awaken".

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 12
what are you encoding in? I have a 3g ipod and when i encode albums in lossless it will start skipping songs because the harddrive does not spin up often enough to put the next song in the ram. when i put stuff in 320 or lower i have no problem though.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by c-money
what are you encoding in? I have a 3g ipod and when i encode albums in lossless it will start skipping songs because the harddrive does not spin up often enough to put the next song in the ram. when i put stuff in 320 or lower i have no problem though.

Mp3 192Kbps, some are 128Kbps.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orestes
have you tried resetting it or better yet, reloading the firmware and then reformatting it?

I've tried resetting it, but problem still persists.

Jun 18, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 12
assuming you still have warranty on this iPod, send it into apple for repair. You will have a new one within about 4 days after its picked up from you... BTW, Apple pays for ALL the shipping on your iPod under warranty.

O

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 12
I noticed this problem with my 20 GB 4G iPod. It seemed eratic as to when it would not play certain tracks. The only thing that I ended up being to associate with the problem was that it usually happened after using it as a disk drive on a Windows computer (I have Mac and never noticed it to be a problem). I after a while it stopped having trouble. I am not sure if it is because I was using it solely on a Mac (I cant remember using it as a disk drive on a PC since it stoped having trouble) or if it is totally unrelated. Hope this helps. If you do descover the definite problem I would be interested to find out what it is.

Andy

Jun 18, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omari149
I have a 4G 40GB Ipod, lately when I transfer songs on to it, it won't play em it'll say they're there but it will just skipp tracks through the entire album and not play any tracks. Can someone tell me how to remedy the problem and tell me whats wrong?

any helpful responses are welcomed

Keep only ID3v2 tags and delete ALL other tags (v1, ape, v2.1, etc).

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by adnymarc
I noticed this problem with my 20 GB 4G iPod. It seemed eratic as to when it would not play certain tracks. The only thing that I ended up being to associate with the problem was that it usually happened after using it as a disk drive on a Windows computer (I have Mac and never noticed it to be a problem). I after a while it stopped having trouble. I am not sure if it is because I was using it solely on a Mac (I cant remember using it as a disk drive on a PC since it stoped having trouble) or if it is totally unrelated. Hope this helps. If you do descover the definite problem I would be interested to find out what it is.

Andy

The symptoms are the same but I never used my Ipod as an external drive. For some strange reason it all of a suddenly playing all of my files without any problems
confused.gif
. What I've been doing was blowing air into the connectors on the transfer cord and in the ac connector on my Ipod and left it alone for 5 days.

Sorry I didn't get to yall earlier, I was in Orlando Florida for a family vacation we were staying at the Days Inn, and we went to Disney Land. Since I couldn't bring my Ipod cause of the problems and low battery life I brought my D-EJ2000.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskywalker
That's weird, I had a similar problem, not when i transfer tracks, but when i changed information about tracks straight on the iPod. Sometimes when i changed the album name, or artist name etc, the track would not play, but like your situation, it's there. So later I tried to fix this by transferring those tracks again. It only took a second to transfer those tracks, so I say those tracks were still there, but just needs to be "awaken".

I had to retransfer those tracks again also and I guess the problems solved for now. I hope there's nothing seriously wrong with my Ipod.

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #12 of 12
I had a song that wouldn't play on my 4G iPod. I could select the song to play and it would display the information like it was about to play it, but then skip to the next track. No matter how I got to the song, it would show up for a moment and move on without playing it.

I reloaded the song onto the iPod, without re-encoding it, and I haven't had a problem since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back