4G Ipod photo or 4G Ipod (black and white)?
Nov 29, 2005 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TAF94

100+ Head-Fier
I looking to get my first ipod. Does either of these two have better sound or anything over the other that I should consider? Anything more likeable? Which should I get?

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 9
The photo is larger than the regular with the same capacities. Also, as you know B&W is cheapter. I suggest B&W since photos don't look that good on the 2" screen. The photo's only positive is its color screen. Thats nice but doesn't change anything really. Now a 2.5" screen thats nice for looking at stuff on.

Nov 29, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Get the U2 version with a color screen if you are looking for something different. IMO it is the coolest ipod ever. The black and red ipod attracts more attention than my friend's black 5G ipod. The color screened U2 proved to be the rarest ipod of the 4th gen ipods too, so it will have a slightly higher resale value if you wish.

Dont get fooled with the photo function. I do not find it useful at all, rather my mobile phone does the job better. Its just nicer to have color and yet have more battery life. Thickness depends more on what case you get for it.

At the very least go for the photo.

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 9
I believe the 4G has the same audio problem as the photo. The 4G also has a whine noise when the hard drive is spinning, but not the photo. I'd go for the photo also because it has better battery life. B&W screen is just boring, even if the color screen has no so-called real use outside displaying album art.

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 9
Well I really didn't want to spend that much on a 5g Ipod becasue I want a headphone amp and new cans and some money left for Christmas gifts. And I don't really want the video playback. I do want to use Apple lossless for my music so I'll probably get the photo for better battery life since I"ve heard apple lossless uses more juice.
Unless there are audio defects predominant in the photo over the black and white, and if the black and white ipods hard drive makes a whine noise sometimes accessing files I would definately want a photo. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Anymore suggestions?

Nov 29, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TAF94
Well I really didn't want to spend that much on a 5g Ipod becasue I want a headphone amp and new cans and some money left for Christmas gifts. And I don't really want the video playback. I do want to use Apple lossless for my music so I'll probably get the photo for better battery life since I"ve heard apple lossless uses more juice.
Unless there are audio defects predominant in the photo over the black and white, and if the black and white ipods hard drive makes a whine noise sometimes accessing files I would definately want a photo. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Anymore suggestions?

I knew there were issues with the SQ of the older color ipod. I don't believe there to be any issues with it now. I echo the remarks the 5th Gen is big step up from the 4th Gen. And if you could get the 5th, I go for it. Bigger screen(more lines or songs to read, Nicer color, SQ is better, small Interface updates, Line out is better, (newer DAC used in 5th Gen ipod), smaller in size.

If I were to get the 4th gen ipod, I would get the color, the line out never had an issue with the SQ. It was the jack out, and more then luckily the one you will get is newer and wont have this issue. There was something with bring pictures out of the jack out and leaving a certain function enabled on the ipod. A do have 4th, currently broken, but that wasn't an issue. There was also the bit about piano pieces sounds bad out of the jack out of 4th Gen with headphones under 32 impendence. Again an issue, I didnt have because I got an ipod that was newer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back