$450 for full-can and portable amp
Apr 26, 2009 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
Hai...I'm looking for my new full-can set....My budget is 450 for both portable amp and headphone...the issue is for the combo is...

1. good headphone,cheaper amp, i doubt the amp enough to power the headphone

2.good amp, cheaper headphone...i feel stupid
normal_smile .gif

if possible, i want an amp that also good with my westone3....

plis help..
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 18
I used IPOD touch 1g via LOD..
sorry, but what the different between closed and open cans? now,i'm really feel comfortable with my sennheiser HD 485..anyway, is hd485 closed or open?

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 18
afaik they are open back design. have never heard them so i don't know your point of reference. if you like sennheiser then maybe you can continue with that sound signature by upgrading to a better model. in your price range you might want to look for a used pair of HD580's. you can usually find them for under 200usd on the fs forum. for an amp, i would suggest an ibasso d10 as it is versatile, feature rich and adequate enough to power the hd580's.

edit: forgot the price of the ibasso is about 100 usd too high for your budget.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 18
I just like the comfort of HD485..for sound..I think it balance, but it's not excel at any department...

I have read that D10 is very good...but I think it would be a waste as I would not use the DAC section...

for HD 580, would it better if I get the HD 600 or 650 instead..
at least I get either a high end amp or earphone so in the future I will only upgrade one of them..

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 18
I don't have much amp experience, only the one I just got: Nuforce Icon Mobile...but it's great way cheap ($99) and will power anything you got.
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just like the comfort of HD485..for sound..I think it balance, but it's not excel at any department...

I have read that D10 is very good...but I think it would be a waste as I would not use the DAC section...

for HD 580, would it better if I get the HD 600 or 650 instead..
at least I get either a high end amp or earphone so in the future I will only upgrade one of them..

totally true, but i think if you get the cans first you will definitely miss the amp. maybe going with the amp first is a good idea? if you don't need a dac then maybe one of ray samuels' amps? from what i have read i hear the mustang and the sr-71a are good choices in regards to that line, but i have no first-hand experience.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 18
For portable I would suggest IEM's or buds. Full size cans are cumbersome, heavy, and way to "out there". For a portable amp the MiniBox-E+ and a pair of Yuin OK1 would fit the bill and set you back about $450. Or a MiniBox-E+ and an UM2.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For portable I would suggest IEM's or buds. Full size cans are cumbersome, heavy, and way to "out there". For a portable amp the MiniBox-E+ and a pair of Yuin OK1 would fit the bill and set you back about $450. Or a MiniBox-E+ and an UM2.

2X on this. I have just tested the MiniBox-E+ with a Shure E500s and I am amazed with the synergy as much as with MB-E+ and ER-4 (with bass boost on). There's lotsa juice from this amp and I do not see it having any qualm about driving anything within the 16-200 oHm cans. For your budget, it may be possible to get a Senn HD25-1 + MB-E+

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 18
I really interested and curious about the AKGs....are they really good..since the price is very in the budget also....

I thought about getting AKG and XM5...how about it?but XM5..i dont like the look of it...

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really interested and curious about the AKGs....are they really good..since the price is very in the budget also....

I thought about getting AKG and XM5...how about it?but XM5..i dont like the look of it...

I have a pair of AKG-240S...2+ years old. Newer model is out. Very comfortable, open backed cans. Also have the XM-5. Very versatile amp for $250, and will drive just about any headphone with the included AD8397 chip.
Comes in silver and black, so there's a modest choice.

Otherwise, Ibasso makes some attractively packaged amps at a lower cost. They are well thought of here.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 18
yeah...I'm doing my research to ATH-ESW10JPN...they look good...
Anyway...Can you tell me what the difference between closed and open can? how do they defer in sound quality?? is it significant???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back