Sep 3, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 11
It looks like a classic-era Exposure *?* preamp. I've got the Exposure IV dual-mono power amp, and I've been very happy with it for years. From the Exposure logo on your unit, I'd say it's a similar vintage, and that's a good thing.

Unfortunately, Exposurehifi seems to have deleted its archives of older models of amps and preamps. That's a very poor show. Perhaps someone else recalls which Roman numeral this preamp was assigned. I'd say that it's from the first haft of the 80s.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Answer 1: 'suggest that this may be the "Exposure Preamp 10"- Google and see.

Answer 2: I know what 300.00 sterling is worth. These classic Exposure amps are favorably compaed to Naim amps of the same period. They are reputed to have very good MM stepup stages as well, if you are interested in attaching a turntable. The short answer is that I wouldn't spend another tenner until I had hooked this up to a pretty decent system and compared how it sounded.

The newest preamps might have more top and bottom-end extension. They may have more PRAT. But you may well find that this has a beguiling 'analogue' or tube-like sound.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 11
It might also be an Exposure X (or Exposure 10) integrated amplifier. I know that there was one made but I've never seen it and it's pretty rare. It looks something like the Exposure XV (or Exposure 15) integrated amp which I have seen. IIRC it's from the late 80's, early 90's. It's hard to tell from the pictures. Are there speaker connections on the rear?

Exposures are very nice. As catachresis said, I wouldn't replace it until I'd listened to it first. The Exposure integrateds match well with high quality mini monitor speakers. I've heard an Exposure XV with Usher S-520's and the combo sounded superb.

When vintage Exposure XV's do come up for sale, they usually go for around $400.

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming Of A Better ... /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got a better picture of the back

"Guarantee is void if exposure speaker cable is not used"

is this just a tactic to make more money or did they use some "special" cables ?

It is an integrated amplifier. The right output and left output are for speakers. Exposure used their own proprietary speaker connections but most banana plugs should work as well.

Vintage Exposure amplifiers are high current designs. They were modeled on Naim gear. Neither manufacturer used zobel networks on their speaker outputs. It is necessary for them to see a minimum inductive and maximum capacitative load at the speaker outputs or the amp could blow up.

Speaker cables designed with this higher inductance and low capacitance are manufactured by Chord and Naim as well as Exposure. Some older Linn speaker cables were as well. I'm not sure about DNM Reson cables but they might work since the geometry is correct for a higher inductance, lower capacitance cable.

My recommendation would be to look for a used pair of Naim Naca 5 speaker cables although Chord and Exposure cables would work as well. Naim Naca 4 would also work, but the bass is very emphasised.
IIRC Naim and Exposure used to recommend a minimum 10' and maximum 15' cable length to achieve the correct load.

Someone in this forum asked the same question a few months ago. He found other cable suggestions at the Naim forum linked below. A lot of the technical information appllies to Exposure as well.

forums - Powered by Eve Community

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 11
hello that's definitely an exposure x
keep it
i've got one it sounds great especially with vinyl
tony
if you want to make sure. plug speakers into it and turn it on .
if it makes a really loud unhealthy sounding thumping noise its a exposure x.
(which is normal as they were built with out a soft circuit anti surge unit)

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tingtongtone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello that's definitely an exposure x
keep it
if you want to make sure. plug speakers into it and turn it on .
if it makes a really loud unhealthy sounding thumping noise its a exposure x.
(which is normal as they were built with out a soft circuit anti surge unit)

I get the Exposure thump when I turn on my Exposure IV too. 'Perfectly normal, as they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back