44.1 output AUDIOPHILE quality - HELP
Jul 19, 2004 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Burmester 001 player that accepts digital inputs and I was thinking it would be very convenient (and fun) to create a laptop based system to output to its DAC.

I currently have an iPod and love the iTunes interface for its ease of use for playlists, search etc....

I want a system to OUTPUT to external dac ONLY...I have NO USE an analogue output so I do not need any options with regard to that.

I want THE HIGHEST possible quality digital output - and here I am so uninformed that I am assuming I can rip songs from my own CDs (I don't need to download or use MP3s...directly from my own cds) to a lossless format which could be output directly to my DAC using iTunes. If I can't use iTunes for this someone please tell me and steer me toward a similar platform (thanks)......

To make this fun I will be running this laptop into the Burmester ($14k) then via Virtual Dynamic Master Series ICs to a Maestro ZX specially upgraded for Sony R-10s and, of course, a brand new pair of Sony R-10s....So I want this to sound THE BEST I POSSIBLY CAN!

I will buy a laptop for sound purposes only so I can use Mac or PC

BUT I know NOTHING about this stuff. I have done searches and when I find people who seem to know what they are talking about with different formats I am totally lost.

I need something that is easy to install and use.
I need a platform that is iTunes or as easy to use as iTunes.
I need to know what config to use to burn from my CD to lossless and what format.
I need to know what hardware I need to buy.

I will ONLY use this computer for music so I don't care about any other features. I will ONLY output digitally to my external DACS so I don't care about any OTHER features from a soundcard except as it might affect sound used in the manner I have specified.

Oh, I am not concerned about cost except that I don't want to buy the $20k Linn system.....I want a computer and to make this fun.

So.....Can you guys help? I don't want to end up talking to the guy at Circuit City about this.

Jul 19, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 19
For laptops your choices are limited and not very good compared to your full sized computer choices. If you need to use a laptop then get an M-Audio Audiophile USB or an Echo Indego. If you can get a full sized computer instead get an EMU 1212m which has VERY good digital outputs.

Jul 19, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 19
Actually since he wants to use iTunes, he needs a card that is bit-perfect and whose drivers automatically bypass kMixer (if he's going to use windoze), which would leave him with the RME cards, AFAIK. The HDSP has the benefit of up to 192kHz operation, if that is any bonus.

BTW, mbratrud, do you need coaxial input for your DAC? If so the best way to go would be to use the sound card's optical output to a monarchy DIP (jitter-reducer) then a coax to the DAC (this way you avoid the computer's groud in the circuit).

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 19
He's got two coax S/PDIF, one Toslink, and one AES/BEU. Therefore, he'd go from the laptop/usb/soundcard to the Monarchy Audio DIP Classic via coax or Toslink, and from the DIP Classic to the Burmester 001 via AES/BEU.

dip_tut.jpg

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 19
If all he needs is bit-perfect TOSLink, wouldn't an M-Audio Transit do the job just fine?

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 19
Is there a particular reason for needing a laptop? It doesn't sound like this system is going to be very portable... If you just want something small, quiet and attractive, consider building a mini computer. There are serveral different options these days for size and features. Going this route will allow you to use better sound cards like the RME line that Iron_Dreamer suggested. The 1212m would also work well here, but you'd lose the ability to use iTunes and still get a bit perfect output as well as losing the ability to pass through a DD/DTS signal if you so desired.

If a laptop really is your thing, the Audiophile USB works well and can be had for around $150. Keep in mind, however, that it doesn't have optical s/pdif (toslink), only coax, and you'll again have to give up iTunes since it will only output a bit perfect signal with ASIO or Kernel Streaming. You could also consider a Sonica or Transit...

Jul 19, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 19
First, thanks all for this great input!!! This is indeed a great place for info.

I have never seen a mini computer - laptop was a spacial/cosmetic thing rather than funtctionality as a laptop. Where could I go on the net to see a mini computer? With a Laptop I could fold down the screen except when I made playlists and chose what to play.

As far as iTunes goes, I like the format for ease of use in ripping and access - ie, drag and drop playlists and storage of file to fins them by artist, genre album etc....Is there another program besides iTunes that would give me similar function but would mean I could use a better soundcard for output?

Remember, while I am not your grandmother (joke) I need to keep it easy to configure and use since I would have to buy it, set it up and USE it myself.

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 19
For mini computers you should take a look over at www.mini-itx.com. They sell some pre-built ones but not all of them have PCI slots so make sure they have PCI slots so you can add a soundcard. You should note that Via EPIA based systems are only powerful enough to do upsampling to 96 KHz due to their limited CPU power (their FPU's are very slow compared to AMD and Intel).

For the iTunes alternative I'd look at Foobar2000. It's learning curve is a bit steep but once you get the hang of it you won't go back. It's playlists are very powerful, it's DSPs are high quality, and you can choose your output method (ASIO and Kernel Streaming will bypass kMixer and resampling with some cards).

Jul 20, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 19
Adriel,

I actually heard the monarchy DIP is good but here is the thing...the DAC in the Burmester does the upsampling in the digital domain so I don't really need a jitter reduction unit to provide upsampling.

What about a MAC...I use a PC now but iTunes is a Mac product is there anything "bit perfect" I can use in a MAC laptop...I understand I should use Toslink to aviod dirty ground from the fan and that would be fine although I have heard that they tend to have greater jitter.

Can iTunes rip "bit perfect"?

I could buy something like a genesis digital lens for anti-jitter and reclocking...how could could I make a laptop sound? Assuming I use the Burmester (which has a belt drive cd turntable and Phillips CD pro heads in the transport section) for DAC - are we taking like decent $400 CD Payer or decent $4,000 cd player?

I looked a the site posted for mini itx but the computers were shaped like cows and buildings and stuff. I'd prefer something more subtle. I assume I'd have to mount and use a full size screen though...If I used a laptop I could make my selections, turn it on, close the laptop and place it back on the shelf..

Jul 20, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 19
So then I would add a different soundcard (which I presume I could have a local computer builder do)?

Are there mini screens? that could fold away, I know there are mini keyboards that can fold away.

Could I use "bit perfect" iTunes (please see my question above)?

How good would this sound presuming I use my external DAC? (Again, see above). I know this is a hard question to answer but ball park are we talking a good $400 cd player or a good $4,000 cd player?

Thanks...

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 19
If you get the RME PAD you could use iTunes bit perfect with the digital outs. Installing PCI cards is pretty easy (electronics stores generally rip you off when you have them install hardware, if you do have a computer/electronics store do it don't let them charge you more than $10 because it only takes a few minutes at the most).

Also, how well it will sound in this case is mainly dependant on the DAC and I know nothing about the DAC you've chosen so I can't tell you how good/bad it will sound.

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
So then I would add a different soundcard (which I presume I could have a local computer builder do)?

Are there mini screens? that could fold away, I know there are mini keyboards that can fold away.

Could I use "bit perfect" iTunes (please see my question above)?

How good would this sound presuming I use my external DAC? (Again, see above). I know this is a hard question to answer but ball park are we talking a good $400 cd player or a good $4,000 cd player?

Thanks...

If you have the computer set-up right for bit perfect, it will sound as good as your DAC will allow. My DAC sounds amazing now, comparable only to a few megabuck CDP's (i.e. Accupahse, Meridian, Electrocompaniet)that I've heard.

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I actually heard the monarchy DIP is good but here is the thing...the DAC in the Burmester does the upsampling in the digital domain so I don't really need a jitter reduction unit to provide upsampling.

There are different versions of the Monarchy DIP. Mine is the latest standard cd version, DIP Classic, and does not upsample.

Quote:

I could buy something like a genesis digital lens for anti-jitter and reclocking...how could could I make a laptop sound? Assuming I use the Burmester (which has a belt drive cd turntable and Phillips CD pro heads in the transport section) for DAC - are we taking like decent $400 CD Payer or decent $4,000 cd player?

With the Monarchy DIP Classic, we would be talking a decent $400 cdp. I don't have the Genesis. If you're looking to turn a laptop into a $4,000 transport, I'm afraid you're on your own to experiment.

Quote:

I looked a the site posted for mini itx but the computers were shaped like cows and buildings and stuff. I'd prefer something more subtle. I assume I'd have to mount and use a full size screen though...If I used a laptop I could make my selections, turn it on, close the laptop and place it back on the shelf..

Many look normal like this, and are full powered. But in no way as slim as a laptop.

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 19
why not buy a mini computer, shuttle etc..

use it to play dvd + rip audio and output to your TV etc.. and also use a good usb soundcard for digital out? would work out cheaper and better than the labtop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back