432 Evo Master makes noise!
Oct 8, 2023 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
So I got this inexpensive amp that is super resolving. Little Labs Monitor. Pro audio gear. Pro audio gear is not hyped on price like Audiophile equipment. It is indeed super resolving. If not musical.

It states that one will hear things present that they have never heard before. Indeed.

What I ended up hearing is that our 432 Evo Master has a bit of noise on it's outputs.

I took out the scope to figure out what might be going on
It turns out that it suffers from "CPU coil".

This is disappointing.
Although I would never have heard this from it with the Woo WA234 that is feeding via a Select Digital Director and Select DAC

It is still in my opinion probably the best sounding music server.

Most any amp one would use with this you would not hear this. I cannot hear it with anything playing if course. It is present during playback though. Per a very sensitive Agilent swept scope. I am measuring directly off the CPU PLL where it is pulled high. To be fair. The self noise I can hear is only with this amp''s volume maxed. It is not the amp though. I can see this harmonic on the scope very prominent from the CPU legs. It would not affect "Normal" listening is my opinion.

It is digital after all.
I just figured people should know this. To be fair the Esoteric Grandioso P1x has more self noise

This stuff is normally inaudible to most people using most amps.

I just figured people should know this. About digital sources at least.

There is another Issue I at least have with the Evo Master. Anyone purchasing and using something of this nature probably wants more than it's maximum internal capacity of 8 TB SSD. We just use a striped NAS. Just par for the course I suppose.
The issue with this is that it will serve to introduce yet more noise. High speed network noise. Again, this is something that can be measured but not normally heard. My feeling is that regardless on stuff like this specs matter. It is what it is. Notwithstanding it still being currently state of the art

I just figured people should know this. When they are spending Tens of Thousands of Dollars on digital equipment. Well, Hundreds of Thousands with the MSB front end. That too has self noise. All of these employ high speed CPU's, data management and networking technology. So it is to be understood.

In normal usage rats probably could not hear this. Even with it being compounded and amplified at each stage.

Most people including myself would not be using an amp like this where it all becomes audible. I don't. I just had an interest as to how resolving current technology amps have become. I found out. These type of amps are not pleasent to myself at least regardless. The WA234 has more noise than all of this combined anyhow. So does a a GSX-SE here that we also sometimes use.

So honestly this point is being moot. As I had previously stated I am of the feeling that specs matter. Even if they truly have no bearing on the final sound quality. Please do not get me wrong. This equipment sounds phenomenal. I just figured this is in some way worth taking into consideration.

That is exactly where the right cables come into play. Both to mitigate this noise and to impart the desired overall sound signature. Here we utilized Crystal Cable DA Vinci throughout.

I have no reason and quite frankly no position to complain of this level of equipment. I am not. I just thought people may wish to be aware that any digital equipment has inherent self noise. Notwithstanding it being indiscernible under regular usage

M_M

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, self noise or not…I changed from 432 Evo to Antipodes…something I should have done much earlier…for various reasons.

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 4
Would you please explain your choice?

Antipodes is certainly a competitor at this level.

I was confident in my decision.
I would love to hear your reasoning for this. Certainly since you switched.

What prompted this?

The Oladra? It has more onboard storage than the Evo.
I personally did not choose it because of the Logitech Music sert software it runs. I feel it is antiquated, buggy and limited.
Everything has it's pros and cons.

What of the Antipodes outweighed the Evo in your opinion?

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 4
Biggest plus is the customer service followed by what I perceive as much better sound.
The creator of the EVO doesn’t really prefer to be bothered by people who bought his gear and have run into whatever sort of problem. Antipodes have a different approach…Mark Cole is always available and helpful.
Admittedly, I never used the 432 option EVO offers but for me Antipodes operates on a different level sound wise. I am relieved that I have moved on from EVO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back