40VA transformer
Jan 18, 2004 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ECM

100+ Head-Fier
i broke apart an old hp deskjet power supply and found that it's just a transformer with dual secondaries. 120VAC in and 10x2VAC out @ 2 amps. i was planning on using it in a power supply for a mains powered ra1 clone and ph1 clone. is using this transformer overkill since both designs are op amp based? the transformer is fairly large and heavy. i would hate to use a 2 amp transformer for a project requiring only a few hundred milliamps. are there any diy headphone amps that require a transformer of this size?

Jan 18, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 4
i'm sure Mr Gilmore has some amps that need that much, don't know if he's published those though. Seriously though, save it for something else, I use a 2.5VA transformer for a META, and an RA1 needs much less than that

g

Jan 18, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 4
That transformer would work for a "Sekeres" amp or other class A designs.

While it may be more then is neccesary for a opamp design, I would encourage you to give it a try. The higher the current output of a transformer, the lower it's internal impedance will be, and a low power supply impedance can have a beneficial sonic effect on an audio circuit. I don't promise you will hear a difference, but it's worked for me in some equipment.

Jan 19, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 4
i think i'm going to use it on a dc coupled "Sekeres" amp as Budgie suggested. Guzzler is using a 2.5VA tranny on his opamp based circuit so 40VA is definitely overkill. thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back