40's Jazz Lovers, check this out...
Jun 27, 2005 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Asterix

Banned
I just got this 4 cd set off amazon.com, it's called "Don Byas - complete american small group recordings" containing tons of classic Don Byas. There is also some Slam Stewart on here, which is equally brilliant. I am still only listening to the first disc right now, and I'm wondering if I found music or I found gold. Don Byas is probably the most under appreciated tenor sax player in history. Check these discs out.

When I listen to Byas I always ask myself why the biggest, baddest tenor sax tone ever [recorded] never made it as big-time as a lot of guys....

He plays with a dark, lush, gutsy tenor sound, like a cross between Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster, yet with a delicate, refined touch. He has the ability to play loud or soft and yet still maintain perfect calmness and control over his instrument. The tone is deep, wide, and just unbelievable. Lots of richness and tonal focus. His playing is very masterful, highly controlled, solid and yet he is able to soar the heights or plunge the depths of the emotional soul with ease. His style is what would be classified as 'swing' or 'bop.' Listen to him caress a ballad with his horn on one of these cd's and you will probably agree that is the finest, most robust, most lush and beautiful tenor sax sound on record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back