~40hz bookshelf/desktop speakers under $200
Nov 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Folex

Member of the Trade: PLAudio
Trying to find a pair of bookshelf speakers that I can use with my desktop that will produce a little sub-bass. The bigger they are the better (up to 2.5 feet tall). I have tons of room on my desk and I personally like the bigger speakers. I don't want to get involved with a 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 setup. I've used them before and when you split up the frequency and have them projected at all different angles it just doesn't sound right.  

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 4
Hallo.
    It's just my first post on this forum. I was just reading two reviews of Audioengine 2 and Emotiva Pro Airmotiv4 pc speakers when I thought I should write a review of the speakers I had found by accident. I am going to do that soon and publish it on the forum, but in the meantime I came across your post, so you'll be the first I am going to recommend them to.
    You will be surprised by my recommendation, I guess. The speakers are called Microlab FC330 (2.1 PC system -  I know, you said you were not interested but... ). To start with, they are not as big as you would expect but they are rated 35-2kHz. I've never measured that but only because I've never thought there was anything missing (and I am a bass player, btw). Now soundwise, the only word that comes to mind is ... stunning. They have everything I've read about about high end sound, much of which I did't believe was possible... until i heard them for the first time (and they do not even aspire into hi-end league): clarity and detail to die for, huge soundtage - much wider and higher than the distance between them, three dimmensionality, stable instrument/vocal location you name it, it's all there. To give you some idea, when I bought them I stopped listenig to my stereo for a couple of days and went through tens of mp3/flac albums before I turned my cd player again. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. You can easily hear differences between the way the same instrument is recorded on various albums, sometimes it is even possible to tell that a given instrument was recorded in a different room (different acoustics) then the rest of the band, for example a guitar in My One and Only Love by Chris Botti's album To Love Again. Once I was listening to a an album I had not heard before by Prince. At some point what suprised me was a sound of an ambulance outside my window (and I live in a very quiet area), so I paused the recordingto check what was happening but it turned out it was a part of the recording, somewhere in the background (spooky). Anyway, sorry for this long description, but I just couldn't help but recommend them. They also look very good (not piano gloss like Audioengine, but still not plasticky like most PC speakers) And the cherry on the cake: they cost me £40 (incl. delivery) brand new :)

PS I do not know if this will tell you much, however let me tell you what I use for listening to music from CD's. Hopefully it'll give you some idea of what class of sound the little beauties represent. CD playback: Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD (despite being a bluray player I think it betters 851c), Amp: Red Wine Audio Sign. 30.2 and Speakers: Castle Acoustics (Durham and Trent 2).

PS2 Hope it'll help you more than confuse you in your search, but at this price you can't go wrong, right?

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 4
I own a pair of BIC America FH-65B, they are rated at 40-23000Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back