400i or 4XX???
Jul 15, 2018 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cobrabucket

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, My main phones are HD6XX running balanced. I also have Argon Mk3s on the way [won't ship until late August/early Sept.]. But I have been tempted by the HE4XX @ Massdrop. While looking, I see there are HE400i's to be had for about the same amount. It appears that the new 400i though will have dual 3.5mm connectors. I really want to run these balanced. Would cables that would be compatible with Focal Elears work? I want a balanced cable that's reasonably priced [<$70]. Or I could just get the HE4XX and get some slightly cheaper and easier to find dual 2.5mm to XLR balanced cables. Is the HE400i better than the 4XX? Would this fill a role even with the headphones I have and/or are OTW? Is this an impulse buy? Should I just wait for the Argons? Decisions, decisions... Thanks!

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 6
Obviously 4XX ( Not saying because i have it, but its also the reason i ordered 4XX instead of 400i considering both are the same price ).

To my knowledge 4XX has 400i drivers, the sound difference will be only based on your grill/earpads.

Reasons to go for 4XX:
1) Doesn't look like you have some sort of antenas on your head, looks more classy ( obviously if you're into modding you could repaint it etc to give more shiny/luxury look similar to HE-500).
2) Build quality, the 4XX feels like they gonna break if dropped but at the same time they feel tough, so if 4XX feels somewhat fragile, then the 400i gonna be made of glass.

Reasons to go for 400i:
1) Preference in looks, otherwise none.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd go for the 4XX for the same reasons. I like the headband much better, as well as the color scheme. You can find balanced cables terminated however you like on ebay

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 6
Yes, this is the better sounding headphone imo
I can barely tell difference between HD 598 and 4XX ( considering i ignore the barely noticeable differences, im not an extreme "audiophile" that would invest 1000$ for 1% better sounding heaphone replacement ), so i bet the 400S is pretty much same sounding.

Also i would choose between 4XX and used Monoprice M1060 ( ppl says monoprice is way better than Hifiman 400 series ).
Anyway mby this random review will be useful, doesn't look biased like the top reviewers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back