4000$ budget, give me your top end suggestions!
May 6, 2015 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cheebamaster

New Head-Fier
So I'm finally pulling the trigger and building a dream audiophile setup. I certainly do not need to spend up to 4,000 but will go that high if it's worth it.

A little background about me/tastes to help you suggest a setup

1. I'm have a degree in piano performance and have a love for classical music. Believe it or not, I don't listen to much piano music for enjoyment since I play so much. I really appreciate and love listening to opera and artists such as Andrea Bocelli/Sarah Brightman. What's most important to me is to hear the voice, not necessarily the instrumentation.

2. I absolutely love electronic music, specifically bands such as Infected Mushroom. I do some gaming and tend to listen to some heavy hitting skrillex/tiesto etc. I would a headphone/amp that provides a good thump in the bass. In the past I owned Denon D2000 and LOVED them. I was dissapointed in the treble clarity however because it didn't do my classical music justice. I briefly owned a pair of SennHD700 and found them to be fantastic but not provide enough in the bass department for my electronica taste.

3. I've also owned LCD-2 (with WA7) and did NOT like those phones. I actually highly preferred the sound of my Denon's over the LCD-2 rev 2. Perhaps that makes me crazy. I now own a pair of Senn HD800, pair with HDVA600 + Schiit Gungnir. The HD800 is an amazing phone but certain songs/cymbals hurt my ears in the treble at louder volume. I've also found the HD800 to be terrible for talking with people over skype. The voices sometimes sound screechy like nails on a chalkboard when paired with the HD800 at certain frequencies. However, nothing has even come close to the HD800 for listening to some of my favorite classical favorites. Songs that work well sound better than any other headphone ive ever owned.

4. I just ordered a pair of Fostex TH900 in the hopes that it will fit my profile...any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

If anyone could name phones that you think would fit for me based on what I've said that would be great. I know some people will suggest that I get 2 phones. I do not want to do this. I really just want one awesome pair. If there's a great AMP/Headphone combo that works well for electronica/opera I'm all ears. I don't necessarily need a DAC. I am using Schiit Gungnir and am very happy with it. So just an AMP/DAC. I can keep the HDVA600 if it pairs well with phones suggested.

Thanks for reading

May 6, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Every manufacturer has a different idea of what's a good tone, a natrual response, a neutral one, a correct soundstage, the right amount of bass punch... to think that there is "one headphone to rule them all" is sadly usually not possible, though of course you can get close.

I'd like you to expand what you didn't like about the LCD-2's, as I would recommend the LCD-X for you. The LCD-3 is the best vocal representation I've ever heard, and the bass is amazing for electronic IMHO.

Avoiding brighter headphones in the flagship range can be difficult. More treble = more pereceived detail.

For $4000, I'd get probably 2 pairs of headphones. HD800's for classical and well recorded material makes lots of sense. The TH-900 is v-shaped, but smoother in the treble, and will work for electronic :D. I'd spend some time with both before moving on much further.

Other cans to look at might be the Beyerdynamic T1 - loved for orchestral, with a good bass level to it. AKG K812 Pros should be in consideration - they're trying to be HD800's but more musical. LCD-X's are very neutral, with fast bass punch, and the Fazor gives it a more open sound and more detail and a touch more top treble on top than the LCD-2 you probably heard (which now also has the Fazor).

Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs are reported to have a large stage for a closed can, with closed planar punch. A Stax system may be within budget... though I'm no expert there.

I think you should audition more headphones. The money you spend should go into a good headphone or two, and the rest into a DAC/amp. Decide what you want by going into specific threads here and asking around what works in your budget with good synergy.

May 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply jodgey4,

I was completely unimpressed by the soundstage the LCD-2 gave. Of course, there is probably a lot of bias in me saying that as I was comparing their sound to Sennheiser 700's which provide (to my ears) what seemed to be a MUCH bigger soundstage and treble detail. The thing I hated most about LCD-2 was that it felt like the musicians were right next to my ear instead of providing a sense of spacial distance that the Senns did so perfectly.

I will take a look at the LCD-3 and the Beyerdynamic...Would it be okay to pair either of these phones with the HDVA600 or should I look at getting a different amp. I'm assuming the HDVA was made special for the HD700/800's.

Another option I am considering is to keep the HD800's and get a good tube amp instead...but don't know if that will reduce the harsh high frequency treble enough for my taste

May 6, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 5
You should spend some time in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.  There are entire threads dedicated to each piece of the (possible) kit in your future.  These threads are populated with knowledgeable people with whom to discuss and evaluate these various top of the line choices.

May 6, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks for the reply jodgey4,

I was completely unimpressed by the soundstage the LCD-2 gave. Of course, there is probably a lot of bias in me saying that as I was comparing their sound to Sennheiser 700's which provide (to my ears) what seemed to be a MUCH bigger soundstage and treble detail. The thing I hated most about LCD-2 was that it felt like the musicians were right next to my ear instead of providing a sense of spacial distance that the Senns did so perfectly.

I will take a look at the LCD-3 and the Beyerdynamic...Would it be okay to pair either of these phones with the HDVA600 or should I look at getting a different amp. I'm assuming the HDVA was made special for the HD700/800's.

Another option I am considering is to keep the HD800's and get a good tube amp instead...but don't know if that will reduce the harsh high frequency treble enough for my taste

The Fazor really helps the stage IMHO. I think the LCD-3/X is worth an audition if it's easy :).

I think for amp parings, I'd check on the threads for those cans, but I think it should have enough power. Synergy is another question. It's a great amp, and I'm sure you could trade it easily worst case.

The Schiit Vahalla 2, Bottlehead Mainline, some of the Woo Audios... there's plenty of great options for tube amps with HD800's just for that reason. It's not EQ - just slightly new flavor. There's some reversible mods you can do, Anaxilus or somethin' that you could check out.

But yeah, check out the Summit-Fi threads, you'll get more attention there. Many of those very knowledgeable members stick to just a few threads, and don't come into the Intro section.

EDIT:: I forgot about the HE-560, I think it's supposed to be a more exciting planar can, more open than the Audeze's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back