$400 Setup for Pre-'06 DT880
Aug 9, 2006 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zancxia

100+ Head-Fier
It's been a little while since I've visited the forums, but I now have a source of income, so I think I would like to invest a little more into my headphones.

When I got my DT880s, I just had my laptop and my stereo's auxiliary that I was using as an amp. Needless to say, the results weren't great--the sound seems 'distant' and while it seems a bit more detailed than my Grado SR80s before it, I know that my components around my cans are a problem. I should be happier. (and maybe it wasn't worth the attempt--I just thought I'd be getting a real amp soon after that)

So... here's where I'm at. I have my laptop, my library ripped into lossless (ape if you need to know), Foobar, and my headphones. I don't have a good amp or soundcard. I was considering an Aria for it's usb DAC-ness, but I've heard that its DAC isn't all that great.

So, my real question is, if you had $400, what would you get?

I've tried to look around the message boards a bit for my solution, but since this is an amp&source question, with a laptop root, I thought it'd be okay if I made a thread. The quicker I have an answer, the sooner I can buy.
tongue.gif

Thanks guys.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
It's been a little while since I've visited the forums, but I now have a source of income, so I think I would like to invest a little more into my headphones.

When I got my DT880s, I just had my laptop and my stereo's auxiliary that I was using as an amp. Needless to say, the results weren't great--the sound seems 'distant' and while it seems a bit more detailed than my Grado SR80s before it, I know that my components around my cans are a problem. I should be happier. (and maybe it wasn't worth the attempt--I just thought I'd be getting a real amp soon after that)

So... here's where I'm at. I have my laptop, my library ripped into lossless (ape if you need to know), Foobar, and my headphones. I don't have a good amp or soundcard. I was considering an Aria for it's usb DAC-ness, but I've heard that its DAC isn't all that great.

So, my real question is, if you had $400, what would you get?

I've tried to look around the message boards a bit for my solution, but since this is an amp&source question, with a laptop root, I thought it'd be okay if I made a thread. The quicker I have an answer, the sooner I can buy.
tongue.gif

I don't know if you care about portability at all. I do, even with a laptop, so here's what I'd do:
  1. Get an Echo Indigo I/O soundcard for your laptop's PC slot (I assume it has one). It sounds great through my home stereo system, especially after I got the MediaMonkey freebie add-in that enables a 24-bit bitstream (it made a night and day difference). You can
    get a new one right now on ebay
    from an authorized dealer for $135 + $13 shipping. That leaves you with $252.
  2. I'd get one of Xin's new SuperMicro's for $199. (Actually, I'd get a SuperMacro for $349, but that's above your budget). Either one will sound great, and is designed to permit you to adjust the sound by swapping chips later if you want to. You can read about them here. The only downside is that it will take you a couple weeks to get the amp from Xin. He's a wizard, so remember that patience is a virtue. With $199 for the SuperMini, that leaves you with $53.
  3. The SuperMini takes 2 rechargeable AAA's. You want 1000 mAh versions for the longest charge. They charge safely within the Xin amp, you don't have to take them out. You can get them from here for $5.49 a pair, but shipping bumps it to $11. So, you've got $42 left.
  4. You need a decent mini-to-mini cable to go from the soundcard to the amp. In your situation, I'd got to BlueJeans cable and get the length you want. Those cables are not listed on the web site, but here's what they told me: "We would build that in Belden 1800F for the same price as an XLR/XLR cable. We don't have 1/8" stereo as an option on the site, so you can order the XLR/XLR cable on the website here: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...udio/index.htm and then leave a note during checkout stating that you really want a mini stereo to mini stereo cable." The price varies by length. A 6' one is $27.75, and a 20' one is $41.25, and any length in between will be in between. Plus $5.75 for shipping. Depending on how long the cable is, that will leave you somewhere between $8.50 ahead and $5 in the hole.
This might not be the best thing, and I'm sure others will have diffeent ideas, but it's what I'd do if I was in your shoes.

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 8
i would probably first opt for a m-audio transit and a zhoalu dac with an headamp that was good....
either that or a line out from your computer and a headfive or gilmore lite amp...

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 8
Wow, thank you for the detailed response, russdog. I'll definitely consider your suggestions. Very impressive and thorough... I'm honored
wink.gif

I'm not worried at all about portability, especially with a headphone like the Beyers, but I guess that might be a good consideration, if I ever get headphones for the office. Decent transportability would be a good compromise.

granodemostasa--I'm not sure if the lineout from my laptop is worth messing with. I've heard good things about the m-audio, so I could consider that path.

fjf--The Aria would be great if I hadn't read that its DAC was not up to par with some less expensive stand-along DACs (like the zhoalu).

Thanks again

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 8
This is my current list of candidates (sorry russdog--I've just seen more acclaim over the following products--I still respect your suggestion if portablility was key):

- Corda Aria
- Dared MP-5
- Fubar + Cute Amp
- DIYEDEN Great March + Headfive (or comparable amp)

I guess I'm willing to go to $450 if necessary... could probably buy used and come close to 400 (really wouldn't have to worry about the middle two though).

Any opinions about these in particular, or any other suggestions, period?

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
This is my current list of candidates (sorry russdog--I've just seen more acclaim over the following products--I still respect your suggestion if portablility was key):

- Corda Aria
- Dared MP-5
- Fubar + Cute Amp
- DIYEDEN Great March + Headfive (or comparable amp)

Don't be sorry, you should get whatever you want. I had fun trying to figure out what I would do if the limit was $400 :wink:

I'm sure you'll find something that you'll be happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back