~$400 Over Ear Headphones and ~$300 IEM
May 25, 2016 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DarthUnnamed

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some over ears to replace my HE-400, which would technically be a sidegrade however i find the piercing treble and the lack of mids to be not be my taste, though i do love the bass. For sound signature, i owned a pair of sennheiser momentum's and while i enjoyed them, i found the bass too strong compared to essentially everything else. Same goes for the Heir Audio 3.ai IEM i had, which had a v shaped sound signature, which i actually enjoyed but also felt as if I was losing too much detail.

I also have a pair of Vanatoo Transparent One speakers, which i absolutely love. Apparently their sound signature is completely neutral (though some have said there's a slight increase in bass, not sure whether to believe this) so a similar sound signature would suffice. Neutral + Good bass, tons of detail. 

I want either an open or closed back, doesn't matter a whole lot, though i would enjoy recommendations for both. I'm also willing to go under/over depending, as the E-MU Teak's are the headphones i've been looking at the most, as it seems to add the great bass of the TH-X00 with much better mids. Still, i am looking into my options.

I'll be using a Schiit Magni/Modi stack for amp and dac, both first gen. Might use a macbook from time to time to use as well, though not if it is significantly detrimental to sound quality.
Comfort is also important, as the he-400 is waaay too heavy and uncomfortable

As for IEMs, i want basically what i described above as sound signature, except i will be powering either by iphone 6 plus or macbook pro 2015. Good isolation is a must and durability is desired but not necessary. I've been looking at the etymotic ER4PT but apparently etymotic plans on releasing something along the lines of it with a bit more bass, so that is something I am considering for sure. I also got a chance to listen to the sennheiser IE800, which i absolutely loved, sans the price. 

I listen to a bit of everything genre wise, from hip hop to electronic to rock etc etc. So a well rounded headphone/iem is a must.
Thanks!

May 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 5
The TH-X00 is probably too v-shaped, pretty similar to the 3.ai's actually IME. The AKG K7XX might be a good choice, or Phillips X2 though that may be a little too warm. You could also look into something like ZMF headphones, many T50RP mods are usually slightly warm of neutral.

May 26, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 5
I would add the PM-3 to your list. Given how you felt about the Momentum and the HE400, I think you might find the PM-3 signature appealing. If you can augment your budget, I agree with @jodgey4 that the ZMF line are a must-listen. I am also still a fan of the NAD HP50--it has a quite neutral sig. Lastly, there is always the trusty HD600, which tends toward the warmer side of things, to my way of listening. It is also worth considering.

May 26, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 5
  The TH-X00 is probably too v-shaped, pretty similar to the 3.ai's actually IME. The AKG K7XX might be a good choice, or Phillips X2 though that may be a little too warm. You could also look into something like ZMF headphones, many T50RP mods are usually slightly warm of neutral.

Yeah i was definitely thinking the TH-X00 was too v shaped upon reviews, however the E-MU Teak seemed to be a little bit closer to balanced because of the more forward mids and slightly less sub bass. Still unsure if I would enjoy the signature though. Thanks for the other recommendations, will look into them.
  I would add the PM-3 to your list. Given how you felt about the Momentum and the HE400, I think you might find the PM-3 signature appealing. If you can augment your budget, I agree with @jodgey4 that the ZMF line are a must-listen. I am also still a fan of the NAD HP50--it has a quite neutral sig. Lastly, there is always the trusty HD600, which tends toward the warmer side of things, to my way of listening. It is also worth considering.

I was looking at the PM-3 earlier, definitely something i was interested in, the only thing worrying to me is the apparent "boring"-ness due to some of the treble roll-off. And while I like closed headphones, i was wondering if there was a more...stationary(?) version of a PM-3, as the PM-3 seems more portable and by doing so, sacrifices things like soundstage. I would prefer to use the headphones as more of a home use pair, and IEMs for the on the go, so portability isn't strictly necessary for the headphones. Still, i would love to get some PM-3's to audition on amazon or something, and return it if i don't enjoy them. Will check out the ZMF and the NAD HP50 for sure. As for the HD 600, i always wanted to try the 600 and 650 from sennheiser. The soundstage of the HE-400 definitely makes me interested in open headphones again, so they are definitely on my list. Thanks of the suggestions! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back