$400 Face Off - B&O H7, Sony MDR-1000X, B&W P7 Wireless
Feb 20, 2017 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

joramapus

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi. I have been trying to work out which headphones to buy for a week solid now. I need them to be comfy, durable, wireless and of course sound great. I do not plan to purchase an amplifier to power them also. Although I do have a small portable Fiio. 

I have narrowed my search down to the following candidates. Unable to choose between these I come to ye for help. 

Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H7

- Seem to be highly rated on this forum in all areas, build quality, sound quality, comfort.
- interchangeable battery
- probably the sexiest 

- maybe prone to getting dirty
- leather headband possibly more susceptible to wear/fraying
- appear to be the least convenient - no folding mechanism, no carry case included.

Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless

- Possibly the highest rated sound quality from what I can gather from these forums
- Built in mic

- Not as comfy as the other cans
- less appealing visually to me

Sony MDR-1000X

- Again, seem to receive great reviews for sound, comfort, build quality 
- most portable, come with the best carry case and fold the smallest
- active noise cancelling is a plus... I guess

- have not been able to compare these to the other headphones using the internet - most comparisons are done with the bose qc 35s for obvious reasons. 
- brand does not come with the same amount of prestige as the other options.

Well those are the main points I feel I have been able to work out after extensive research. I have been able to demo the sony's and beoplay h7s for a short period of time - yet not under the same conditions and not on the same day. 

I enjoy most types of music, from house to metal. 

If anyone has been able to test these headphones, Id love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance, and sorry if I have screwed any of this up - first time posting.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 5
i have the H7 and the P7 wireless, i have comfort issues with both, the H7 is more comfortable but somtimes my ears hurts because the are in contact with the driver  which can cause pain after some hours of listening especially if the ears are warm. the P7 is heavier, and has an higher clamping force, and the headband can produce a hotspot. the sound quality is great on both, the H7 has nice trebles and a dry bass, and if you don´t compare them to the P7, they are great, but if you compare them, the P7 destroys the H7, in soundstage, mids, and bass, and they can get a lot louder 60% P7 = 100% H7,
the sound of the P7 is warm and the separation is great for an 400€ headphone, 

P7 
SQ : 9,5
Comfort: 7

H7
SQ: 8,5
Comfort: 8,5

they have both no ANC, and the biggest advantage of the Sony is the great ANC, with various different settings, if you need ANC, go with Sony or the H9 (or H8)

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Ben. Actually went for the P7 on the end! Have been loving them for 24 hours now.

They work excellently with my huwai p9 lite phone. Never any disconnects. All the functions working. With my laptop though, have been experiencing fairly frequent blips in connectivity. 

Do you have any advice on a 4.1 Bluetooth adaptor that supports aptx? I have been finding it difficult to find anything good on amazon. And they also all seem to only be able to transmit and not receive too - pretty strange. The adaptor will be used primarily with my desktop computer so even a PCI E card would be good. 

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Sadly. I believe I have discovered a slight rattle in the right driver when a large amount of bass is present :frowning2:

What did you end up doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back