~$400 amp for Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Sep 23, 2004 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RypTide11

New Head-Fier
After my Sony MDR-V700DJ's broke I decided to go head and purchase the ATH-A900 after reading these forums. Now I would like to purchase an amp that can drive those babies. I'm looking to budget $400 towards an amp. Can you guys please help me decide? I mostly listen to pop, rap, hiphop, rock, classical, and dance. Also, I would like an amp that is not too bass heavy.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 14
The PPA sounds excellent with the A900's. Although, I would recommend a leaner sounding opamp. Of course, that's my taste.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Trevor

Sep 23, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 14
you dont need an amp for the a900. They're fine without an amp. You're not going to get a suprise when you buy a 400 dollar amp to go with it.

Sep 23, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
you dont need an amp for the a900. They're fine without an amp. You're not going to get a suprise when you buy a 400 dollar amp to go with it.

I agree, don't waste your money. I think you would be much better off putting the $400 into a good source w/headphone out.

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 14
If the A900s are anywhere near as efficient as my Ultrasones are, I also recommend skipping the amp and buying a better source.

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 14
I reccomend that you try an amp from a buddy, and then decide wether you like it or not. If you have a receiver plug it in there and it should sound great, but if your comming out through a soundcard then please give an amp a shot. I decided to get an amp after listening to music through a receiver w/a500's and decided hey amping will benefit me since I do notice the difference.

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Nah, don't blow your money on a $400 amp. The A900s will improve, but not enough to justify spending that kind of money.

Then again, if you absouletly insist on an amp, supposedly the Emmeline XP-7 is a good match (around $400 w/o ps)

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 14
I agree that an amp isn't necessary with the A900s I do think that an amp moves them from really good to great. I bought a Perreaux and maybe it's the coloration that I like but I do notice a difference. I had plenty of volume out of my AV-710 but the amp added more punch at the lower end and seemed to open up the soundstage some.

Trying them out on someone else's amp before you plunk down the $400 is a good idea.

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 14
How about reducing your budget and going for a Pimeta or one of Headsave's models? I think A900's do improve with an amp but I think a cheaper amp would do the trick here.

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Try to audition an amp before you make a commitment. It's likely that adding an amp won't make much perceivable difference unless the amp and the source are really good. A900 sounds full-bodied on its own. You will need so much more gear to make it sound even better.

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 14
If you think you need an amp I think that the best cost effective solution that you will be happy with is to get a DIY'er to build you a PIMETA. I sould suggest sending an email to Mister X and telling him what you will be using as source and that you are using A900 and how much you would like to spend. He can build a custom amp with all of the features that you need.

For example, I asked for an amp that would mate well with my AKG K271 Studio's, have two headphone outs and be powered from battery or wallwart and he built me this amp. [here is the spec sheet on it]

EDIT: If you need his email address to get ahold of him, just send me a PM and I can give it to you.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back