40 Gig Ipod vs IHP-140
Feb 13, 2004 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SteveM324

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm torn between these 2 players and I would like some help from the experts out there.

1) Can I connect either of these players to my home rig DAC? I have a Grace 901 in my home headphone system which has a built in DAC (toslink and coax inputs). Also my CD player, Cary 306/200, in my living room has digital inputs (optical and coax). I think I can hook up the Ipod to the analog input of my amp but it would be nice to utilize the high end DAC in my home components? Would I use any digital optical cable to make this connection?

2) Which ever player I choose, I would like to use it in my car. I do not have a cassette player in my car but I do have a DVD player with 2 audio/1 video inputs. Will either player hook up to these inputs?

3) I'm a Windows XP user, with no experience ripping CD's. I don't think I will be downloading much music off the internet. Any thoughts on which player and its associated software will be easier to use for a novice?

4) I don't have any portable phones now, I currently own the RS1's, CD3000's and HD600 w/Cardas cable. I will probably get the Ety 4P's for travel. Any thoughts on which player matches better to the 4P's? Thanks in advance for your help.

Feb 13, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 7
Get iRiver, iPod line out is obsolete and its old POS technology. Digital is the future. Buwhahahahaha
biggrin.gif

-Friday the 13th, just trolling. :
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 7
What do you mean the Ipod's line out is obsolete? You mean, the fact that it's an analog and not digital? If that's the case, then most of the portables out there are going to be "obsolete"...

Maybe apple will realize that and drop the prices on the Ipods accordingly
smily_headphones1.gif
(hey, a guy can hope)...

Feb 14, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't know, after reading iPodlounge for so long, I've become pretty numb towards all these IHP vs Apple HDD player threads. I personally think that the iPod sounds the best out of all the HDD players, so I'd definately recommend it over all the others. Also, however, I'm also heavily biased towards anything that is apple, since I use computers only made my Apple unless the Intel or AMD based computer is running linux.

The iPod is actually really good at powering some of those cans that you have, although of course you're going to still need an amp to get the full sound out of them, but the iPod is pretty good. Trust me, a lot of people seem to believe that the iPod is one of the better sounding HDD players, which I stronly believe too.

Feb 14, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 7
looks like digital output is an important feature you are looking for. the ihp has that while the ipod does not. as for sound quality, it is subjective. as for ripping cd, programs like eac and cdex is quite easy to use. the ihp can be recognised as an external drive in windows xp and song can be transferred via drag and drop, while the ipod needs its own software transfer songs.

Feb 14, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 7
Both are good playerz, but this is an interesting comparison. Also here. You may come to different conclusions, but again you really can't go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back