$40 CMoy vs. $60 MINT vs. $60 PA2v2 - which??
Feb 12, 2006 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

s3r

New Head-Fier
The title pretty much says it all, and my last, more generic thread got no replies. I can get the first two from a DIY builder at those costs plus shipping, and then there's the ubiquitous PocketAmp2 v2.

For the most part, it'll be playing predominately rock music from an AV710 to Grado SR60, although I also have Sennheiser HD497 and HD280 Pro, and it will probably also see use with my Zen Xtra or shuffle MP3 players and Koss KSC75.

Any replies will be appreciated, but the sooner the better as I'm hankerin' to buy.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for reading!

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 14
I think the MINT with its buffered output will be best for the low impedance Grados. You may also want to check in on PINT over at headwize; it looks to be a giant killer.

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism
Where can you buy these MINTS? and whats a PINT?

MINT is a do-it-yourself amp, so you can either get the instructions/hardware and make it yourself (same as CMoy), or you can talk to a DIY builder 'round these parts and ask them to build it for you (which is what I'm doing). PINT is the second version of the MINT.

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 14
The PINT is an AD8397 amplifier with a simple design similar to that of the CMoy. Becaus of the nature of the AD8397 it is not important to have buffers like in the MINT or PIMETA. It is by tangent, and can be fit into a Altoids tin, seeing as how the PCB is about as big as a stick of gum.

The Mini3 (forgot how to do the raised 3 thing) is another AD8397 amp, by amb and morsel (the same people who made the M3). It is meant for a specific enclosure, which is somewhat larger than a mint tin, and is supposed to be easy to build for a claimed cost of $50. Factor in the cost of a fancy enclosure, silkscreening, research and design, etc. and note that commerical amps tend to have a markup of 3x (Tyll's own words, IIRC) and you will have a rough idea of how it compares to commercial amps.

Both of them take 2 9V batteries and have built in recharging abilities. Because of correspondence between the builders they are very similar. The threads for them are Headwize and the PCBs will likely be available when hell freezes over and then thaws again. I am really looking forward to them, assuming my crap ears can discern improvements, but it'll take a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, there was also talk of fitting a bass boost, possibly variable, into the enclosure of the Mini3, but as said before the PCBs will be available when hell freezes over and thaws again.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism
Who are you talking too? I have had an ad in the classifieds since the other day but no hits on it.

EDIT: I just need something to power some SA3Ks/SA5Ks.

YGPM

Thanks for the replies, guys... since the Mini^3 and PINT aren't available yet, if anyone could give me more definitive feedback on the CMoy/MINT/PA2v2 comparison, I would much appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 14
Mint beats either IMHO. I run both of mine at 18V and it sounds great with my Grados and HD580. Its an aggressive little amp, quick transients and a very lively sound. Some find it too aggressive and overbearing though. I have not found that to be the case. IMHO buffered designs are better for Grados than un-buffered OP amps. its a very dynamic circuit for the $$$, and works great for low volume listening which I prefer.

Channel imbalance is pretty even too, as the vol knob is reduced. Thats one of the things that irked me a little about the PA2V2, that and the bass boost.

I have one that is portable in a mint tin and the other on a hammond case. The mint-tin is always an attention getter in the office.

Youre getting a lot of amp for your $60.

Good Luck,
Garrett

Feb 13, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks a ton! I was already leaning toward the MINT, but that certainly helps.
tongue.gif
He has one already made that is powered by a single 9v battery - would I lose much by having a single 9v rather than 2x9v? That seems to be a point of debate around here - some say running off a single 9v will cause quality issues at certain volumes with certain music passages - but my equipment is all pretty low-end right now, so I don't know if it's enough of a concern to justify extra cost/wait time. I'm probably just going to go for it.

Anybody else want to comment before I buy my first headphone amp?
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by s3r
Thanks a ton! I was already leaning toward the MINT, but that certainly helps.
tongue.gif
He has one already made that is powered by a single 9v battery - would I lose much by having a single 9v rather than 2x9v? That seems to be a point of debate around here - some say running off a single 9v will cause quality issues at certain volumes with certain music passages - but my equipment is all pretty low-end right now, so I don't know if it's enough of a concern to justify extra cost/wait time. I'm probably just going to go for it.

Anybody else want to comment before I buy my first headphone amp?
biggrin.gif

I haven't tried it at 9V.... maybe some day. That'd be ome small amp though, thats for shure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back