$40-50 Headphones Please
Sep 6, 2008 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

andyreynold

Head-Fier
Hey all. First post on here. I'm looking for some decent, cheap headphones to use for long periods at a time. (2-5 hours). I plan to use these while studying at the library. They will be plugged into my iPod touch.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 7
I HIGHLY recommend the Sennheiser HD201. They are a fantastic value and sound like $100 phones. I think they're around $30, but i got some on ebay for $10! Burn-in helps greatly.

A must-have with these is the FiiO Amp. these don't sound the best straight out of an ipod, but with a FiiO they're excellent. The FiiO is only $8.50 shipped! DealExtreme: $8.50 FiiO E3 3.5mm Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier (White)

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 7
I have to agree on the HD201 + Fiio combo, at your price point. I respectfully disagree that these sound like $100 headphones, though. As it happens, I have a pair of $100 headphones right here (Denon D1001) and my old HD201s a bout two feet away. The difference is uber-significant. p < .001, significant. Uh huh. But still, the HD201 is a great headphone, esp. for the price.

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 7
the HD's and FiiO have great synergy together. The HD201 bass is a bit weak, and the FiiO fixes that right up. These are also excellent headphones for rock and distortion, they have great mids.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 7
I listened to the Sennheiser 201's just yesterday, and they were quite impressive for $25. They are a closed design, so they wouldn't bother those around you. The cord was very, very long IIRC. Surprising amount of bass, and a lot of refinement for that price.

The other choice would be the Sennheiser PX-100, sold online for about $40, although I've seen them as high as $80 at Circuit City. They sound like they could sell for $80, so half that is quite a bargain. If everybody here voted, these would probably take top honors in the sub-$50 class.

Don't let their small size fool you, they perform beyond their diminutive size. Very lightweight, can hardly feel them on your ears, should be able to comfortably wear them for hours. However, they are an open design, and those around you will be able to hear what you are listening to. Very impressive phone considering its size at any price, but when they're $40, the PX-100 are, IMHO, one of the very best deals in all of HIFI-land.

Both have a two-year warranty. The Koss Porta-Pro have a lifetime warranty, but I've not heard those. The Senn 201's feel like they are much sturdier, with far more bulk, than the PX-100's - but both have the same warranty.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back