4 quick questions about creative zen micro...
Mar 16, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 19
Based on all your info, I started thinking about a flash-based player.
Muvo mini n200 1GB or something.

But then I looked at some more pictures of the zen micro.
It looks so so nice!!

So long as I don't have to touch the creative software CD, I think I'll get one.

Charging from the USB has sold me!

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #17 of 19
Here's a reply I made to someone on another forum who was having problems with his Zen and was considering a flash player:

I bought both the iRivier iFP-799 and the Zen Micro to compare and decide. There's a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy at futureshop, so it suited me well.

Anyway, the Zen Micro is much sexier, but the iFP is rugged and more "manly". I found the controls on the Zen to be inferior to the iPod, I mean they're good, but it's like good vs great. Anyway, while transfering music to the Micro, it crashed. I had to remove the battery. Some of the songs made it on, so I tried to listen to them and it crashed again. I pretty much made up my mind right there and then. It's a great player in terms of design and sound quality. The thing feels so nice in your hand, much better than the iPod Mini. But I won't tolerate any more crashes.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the iRiver flash player (either the 7x or 8x series). The sound quality is very good, and the volume was pretty much the same as the Zen Micro. The FM reception is great in my area, it should be in yours too. The controls are reputed to be awkward and difficult, but they're not really. People tell you to read the manual, but you don't need to. Just play around knowing that most of the buttons have an alternate function depending on when and how you press them. For example, the record button records (duh), but if you hold it, it brings you to the mode select screen where you can choose to either play mp3s, listen to FM, record your voice or choose line-in recording. The case that comes included is good enough, make sure to close the buttons and THEN insert the player, it's too tough to do it the other way around.

There is a bug in the iRiver player if you intend to play variable bit-rate Lame encoded MP3s. Just make sure to disable the ID3v2 tags, otherwise the player will play a bit, restart and move on to another song. And make sure to get the 1.25 firmware if you intend to use the software, or the 1.28 if you want UMS. It adds features and fixes bugs. Like you couldn't select an end-time to your timed radio recordings, which was a bit odd, but the firmware adds that feature. There was an issue regarding some barely audible white noise in the background, but that's been fixed in the newer models of those players. Mine is completely silent, even with volume at 0.

EDIT: You weren't "unlucky", the Zen Micro just suffers from crashes from time to time. Cnet even mentions that in their Micro review.

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #18 of 19
However don't get the opinion that ALL Micros crash, because I've had mine for 4 months now, and haven't experienced a single crash at all. Also I personally know 5 other people who own Zen Micros, and when I asked only one of them said their's had crashed, and it was due to a corrupted file.

Yes, the Micro has some minor problems. But not everyone experiences them. In fact, in reality, probably very few people do.

Mar 17, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 19
If you're considering the Muvo, I'd go ahead and grab a Zen unless you're quite strapped for cash or you REALLY want that Line-in feature. I've had a Muvo just over a month or two and I liked it so much I decided to spring for a Zen. I wouldn't have done it, as even now I don't listen to too much music, except for the ability to use it as a USB drive. I can make very good use of a several-GB USB drive, and if it has bells and whistles that's great too. The other big selling point for me was the Voice Recording, actually, which is pretty uncommon for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back