4+ quick N' easy tips for optimal SQ on mac/itunes
Jul 30, 2008 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Quaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]4+ quick tips For Best MAC/itunes Audio Quality:[/size]
  • Turn-off the iTunes equalizer.
  • In Preferences, uncheck all boxes in the audio tab except "disable iTunes volume control for remote speakers"
  • ALWAYS SET VOLUME level to 100 Percent which is bit transparent, any less degrades sound
  • 24/96 on MAC:
    MAC does actually support 24/96 with iTunes, but the setup is a bit convoluted.
    Find the OS X utility named "Audio Midi Setup". It's not in a preference pane, but
    rather an application that Apple usually installs in the Utilities folder. Once you have
    found this, focus on the lower left of the window and make the changes. You can do
    this on-the-fly and hear the difference in the audio playing using iTunes.
    [size=xx-large]&[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Great tips.
    smily_headphones1.gif

Worth making sure that these iTunes setting are unchecked as well: [*]Crossback. [*]Sound Enhancer. [*]Sound Check turned off.

---

have edited this post to include any other good posts with the respective users quote, into this first one for ease of viewing!

---

old news for some, maybe new for others.

copied and pasted from various sources.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Great tips.
smily_headphones1.gif

Worth making sure that these iTunes setting are unchecked as well:
* Crossback.
* Sound Enhancer.
* Sound Check.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great tips.
smily_headphones1.gif

Worth making sure that these iTunes setting are unchecked as well:
* Crossback.
* Sound Enhancer.
* Sound Check turned off.

very true, they are the 'original' easy tips, how could i forget
tongue.gif

any more tips people have be sure to add here and i can edit them into the first post, give my life a sense of purpose!
wink_face.gif

eg. do people have a favourite version of itunes?, that they find is more optimal or sounds slightly better than a later implementation, newest isnt always better!

any practical words of wisdom will do, fire away to make the itunes experience as good as it can be....

May 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 4
Sorry to bump this thread but my questions align with the topic (the audio midi setup):

What is the difference between the different formats? I can choose between 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz. It is defaulted at 44.1 kHz.

The second option is the number of channels/bits. Right now it is on 2ch-24 bit but I can also choose between 16, 20, and 32 bits.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back