4 or 8 ohms biwire which one?
Dec 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

analogsonar

Head-Fier
Hi i have a nad 7240pe receiver, and i just decided to bi-wire my speakers with it (swan). The receiver has a 4 or 8 ohm selector switch, the speakers say 8 ohms a piece. should I set the ohm switch to 4?

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 12
NO,leave it on 8,but what do you mean by bi-wiring,are you bi-amping,are you using two amp outputs to one speaker [a speaker with two sets of inputs]

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 12
You don't have to have two amp outputs (unless you mean one output with two binding posts). Your speakers then need to have two sets of binding posts on each speaker. Just double up the wire on the single amp posts and run the ends to the two seperate posts on the speakers.

Do not set the switch to 4 ohms. Keep it to whatever your speakers are nominally.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to have two amp outputs (unless you mean one output with two binding posts). Your speakers then need to have two sets of binding posts on each speaker. Just double up the wire on the single amp posts and run the ends to the two seperate posts on the speakers.

Do not set the switch to 4 ohms. Keep it to whatever your speakers are nominally.

You need two amp channels if you are going to biamp,biwiring is a waste of cable,there is no benefit to be gained.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 12
Ive found bi wiring to be an improvement.
I bi wire on my office system and bi amp on my main system.

As for the 4 - 8 ohm switch - what these usually do if selected at 4ohm is lower the current to the speaker to protect the amplifier.
You should always use the 8ohm setting - even if you have 4 ohm speakers as it will sound better.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 12
*facepalm*

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need two amp channels if you are going to biamp,biwiring is a waste of cable,there is no benefit to be gained.

Funny you should say that, one of my favorite reviewers, used to say this,
" bi-wiring should be respelled to buy-wiring", I won't argue the bi-wiring, but it doesn't compare to bi amping.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed!!!

Oh good. At least someone here doesn't belong in a mental asylum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back