4 months with the D66...
Jan 11, 2003 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

linnem

100+ Head-Fier
After having spnt a lot of time (and money) looking for the perfect portable phone I finally took the plunge and orderd the D66 EGGO from audiocubes about 4 months ago. A couple of years ago I found it's cousins, d77 & d55) in a sony catalog here in Norway, but their price tag were to hefty at the time (the d77 was around 200 USD.

My favorite phones before the Eggo was the SR60 and the E888, both wonderfull phones in their respective category, but I never did manage to like the sr60 as a portable (I paid 200 USD for it here) and the E888 suffers from all the mishaps of other earbuds, the worst being that they do not keep very well in place.

It has to be said that I have never been to keen on closed phones as my ears tend to get hot very quickly and it ruins my musical experince. Sennheiser may make some very good sounding phones, but comfortwise and their sheare bulkiness(?) the leave me wanting. I dont want to log around a monster I have to remove every 5 minuts.

Enter the D66.

Design: Once upon a time a tie-fighter corpulated a ninja-turtle who then laid a EGGO. For real, it will never win any design awards it is just too wierd looking, but in no way ugly, nor will it help you get laid.

Build quality: The weakest spot on the D66 for sure. Feels like it wont stand to much punishment, but maybe looks are deciving. I have fallen asleep lots of time with my pair on only to wake up and find them nicely curled up besides me (or around my neck trying to strangle me). The single cord wire solution is not the best as it is VERY thin and is exposed as two "loops" to facilitate the slide necessary to fit different sized heads. I also find the main cord a tad to thin, but this is probably to keep th e overall weight down as...

Portability:...the D66 weighs next to nothing. You can wear them for hours without any discomfort, and when not in use the fold up! Really nice, but till takes up more space then an earbud. A bag is provided and I allways use it, not just to keep it scatch free, but also so the wires I mentioned before dont snag on something.
A word of warning! when using the D66 you cant just pull them down around your neck if you need your ears for other things (like actally talking to people) as they will try to strangle you. You either have them on your ears or not on at all.

Sound: Very neutral. If you like the E888 you will LOVE this baby to death, same sound, just more of it as you get better low freq. extension and the stay put once you have put them on. No need to "reposition" every 30 sec. Very forward soundstage eg. very little "closed headphone blob feeling", maybe from the tilted drivers. Cloth earpads help with the hot ear syndrom (HES it should be called). 40 ohms, dont exactly need an amp, but mine likes my fixup v3 for that extra power.

More tomorrow!

Jan 11, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 14
linnem
HI: Geat review. I think that the Eggo d66 are the best portable cans I ever had. Glad that you also like them. I also will be using the super mini V4 with them.

Jan 11, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 14
re: d66 build quality, i agree with you linnem, looks are deceiving. i lost count how many times i banged the earcups on metal poles on the bus, and once even dropped them on pavement; zero scratches or dents, none, nada, even on the silver buttons. they are also much sturdier than they look.

Quote:

Design: Once upon a time a tie-fighter corpulated a ninja-turtle who then laid a EGGO. For real, it will never win any design awards it is just too wierd looking, but in no way ugly, nor will it help you get laid.

lol
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2003 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 14
i got these a few days ago, and all can say is these are really, really good. i mean the sound and wearing experience is actually better then my Beyer 770's and 931s. i am blown away because i expected such mediocrity from Sony based on my past experiences. i am still trying to figure this out...

Jan 12, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 14
austonia: enjoying your t615?

Sorry I havent got the time to write more to day, will do it tomorrow as there is a lot more to be said about this phone!

A little tip for eggo owners: get the audio technica neopren cd case from audiocubes, it will fit the D66 as a glove and add real protection.

Jan 12, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by linnem
A little tip for eggo owners: get the audio technica neopren cd case from audiocubes, it will fit the D66 as a glove and add real protection.

Linnem,

Do you mean this one?

Also, does anybody know how much shipping generally runs to North America from Audiocubes?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 14
yes!

Jan 13, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 14
linnem
HI: how are you? Yesterday and last night I took my Eggo D66 and used my Max Out MEAT42 and my mini disc and boy it sounded fantastic. I listened most of the day then again late last night and it was a blast. If you give the Eggo D66 a good amp they really open up to awesome sound.

Jan 13, 2003 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Lou, how much of the time do you listen to the D66 vs. the AT1000? I even like to use my D66 at home, damm it sounds good. what a surprise from Sony.

Jan 13, 2003 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 14
I did some late night listining yesterday with my R910, V3 fixup (which is now sold) and moby 18 and came to the conclusion that the d66 really benefits from that ekstra power. Once you get it over that "hump" it really opens up, and the sound image is so clear, no bass distortion what so ever.

On a different note, I really liked my fixup amp, only sold it to get the new version, but it sure does stink with my fixup modified srf-s84 pocket radio. Any imperfection in the signal is boosted numorous times and the radio has enough power to drive the eggos very well. Super mini for CD & MD, but not head-out pocket radio. Must be even worse with the srf-m35, the king of static.

Jan 13, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 14
HI: I find the Eggo D66 light and fun to listen to but they ant no where as great sounding as my A1000. I am getting a new amp and will be using my A1000 a lot more. I put the Eggo d66 and Max out META42 and mini disc downstairs by my lounge chair so when I wont to get out of my office and just relax I go to my lounge chair. AND do some eggoing. LOL

Jan 13, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 14
No, I agree that there are other better phones, but for portable use nothing beats the d66. I wouldent log around a 300 dollars phone that was the size of a small car. That is not portable to me.

Jan 13, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 14
linnem
HI: I agree the my EggoD66 are for my portable rig but to my suprise the also sound great at home with my Max Out META42. So now my eggo D66 are for my home lounge chair and also for my portable use. I am getting the super mini amp V4 today and will see how it does with my eggos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back