4 input, 1 output CAR RCA switcher
Mar 26, 2005 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shaizada

500+ Head-Fier
I've been doing a lot of reading and at the end of it, I'm quite confused
biggrin.gif

Here is what I wanted to do:
1) Connect the RCA outputs from my (XM radio, Minidisc, IPOD) into a switch box.

2) This will require 6 RCA plugs (Two from each device) + 2 more for future expansion.

3) One set of RCA jacks to output to the AUXILIARY in of my headunit.

4) A remotely mounted (Maybe on the dash) ROTARY switch.

My aim is to build a great quality (AND not to expensive
tongue.gif
) "switchbox" type of setup. I'm so confused at the type of rotary switch I want.

Do I want swtiching or Non-switching? 3 pole or 2 pole....how many throws? What kind of wires should connect everything inside the box? Should I use a particular kind of solder for the joints?

A parts list and a push in the right direction would be sooooooooo helpful.

Thanx to ANYONE who replies!

PS:- I have in mind Dayton female jacks and am clueless to the rest of the stuff

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 4
highflyin9 did something simmilar to what you have in mind Here

i dont now if this helps or not

i doubt you will need the teflon wire such as he used (because its car audio) so normal rosin core solder should work fine. stranded copper wire will also work for your needs.
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanx for the quick reply,

the deal with a car is that its an electrically noisy environment. So proper sheilding from EMI and RF is quite important. I was actually thinking of using tin foiling on the inside of the case to keep the inside electrically secluded.

Oh and I did read up that post before. But I need a basic breakdown on what parts to use for MY particular application, especially the rotary switch
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm guessing 3 pole (Left Signal, Right Signal and Ground) in the case that I should be switching the ground as well.

I hope people can point me in the right direction.

Thanx!

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 4
try PM'ing highgflyin9 maby he can give you more getails about his project and maby recommend some parts. if your worried about interfierence then i would litz braid the wires or by shielded wire (such as canare star quad, see "How to build your own interconnect step by step with pics" its a sticky and has links) also using a metal box should help.

id assume you would need a 3 pole 3 throw switch (on-on-on) but dont quote me on that
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back