4 in 3 out switchbox with a twist - help!
Jan 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

suicidal_orange

500+ Head-Fier
I am trying to wire up my room having redecorated, and am getting fed up with manually swapping cables.

Basically I need a 4 input 3 output stereo (RCA) switchbox, but it would be great if 1 input could output to 1 output independantly of the others as well as being switchable to the other outputs (to record vinyl on my PC while listening to a different source on headphones) and I can't get my head around a schematic. 3 (or more?) rotary switches at a guess, and a lot of RCA sockets. And a sizeable case to house all the wire and sockets...

Can anyone give me any advice?

If theres a bored builder in the UK (exchange rates make elsewhere unviable
frown.gif
) willing to make one I might be interested as my casework skills aren't great, but I'll have a go as this really is a case of functionality over looks and the sooner the better - not much on this weekend so I'd hope to have it by then.

Thanks for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the suggestion adamus, that would indeed nearly work but you can't stack them with the switches on the top, so would take up more desk space. And there would be no way of using 2 inputs/outputs at the same time...

It's not that I'm against building a box but couldn't quite get my head around the design but thinking of using two of those with one reversed actually makes it clear - join the output of two switches together, and add another to switch between a direct line to an output or one of the inputs on one of the main switches. Then the inputs of the second switch go to the output jacks... could even use it backwards if needs change in the future
atsmile.gif

Thanks again for the suggestion, mental block cleared - I'm off to order some switches!

If anyone thinks of something I've missed let me know, and any recommendations for a case would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 4
break before make!

and modushop.biz for cases, otherwise a simple hammond from rapidonline or farnell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back