4-6 GB MP3 players
Jul 2, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 38
I don't have any experience with the players you listed, but I wouldn't definitely second the Zen Micro.

ilovesocks, how old is your micro? Last time I tested my battery, I got 11 1/2 hours at 20/25 volume indoors on full random. Most of my songs are at 192 kbps MP3 LAME and I use Porta Pros as well. No EQ or smart volume and I got it a few weeks ago. I'd talk to creative for sure if your player is running for half the time of mine.

I'm not a huge audiophile, but the sound quality is perfectly acceptable considering my rig. Drag and drop is supported with new firmware, and file transfer was about 4 MB/s for me, I think. That isn't abnormal considering the Rio Carbon I returned a while ago was at about 3 MB/s. I've only dropped it once, so I can't comment much on durability, but it survived that one 3 foot drop in a mint case. Since it's summer now, you'll have to wait 6 months for a cold-endurance report.

I returned the Carbon because I couldn't stand the interface. It's designed to be as simple as possible, and if that's all you want, I'd highly recommend it. It equals the Micro in all of your criteria, with the exception of battery life, where it kills the Micro. However, the Micro has fast scrolling, on-the-fly playlists, the ability to queue songs and many other useful features the Carbon lacks that I find essential. So take both of those players into consideration, they're easily able to compete with the others you listed.

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeratul
ilovesocks, how old is your micro?

It's about 3.5 months old, but the battery is nearly 5 months old. I have two batteries since I got one of the "special edition" Micros that came with two batteries. Maybe I'll try charging up the other one .. Anyway, my battery charging routine ever since I got it has been use it 'til it drops, then charge it.
EDIT: Your name takes me back a few years to the days of Zealots, Carriers, and Scouts!
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
there's your answer... all these players the advertised battery life is at 128kbps cbr mp3, no DSP, default backlight settings (it's usually off during the majority of the test), continuous play without skipping tracks, and usually at a certain volume level

So you mean processing 320kbps is what's killing the battery?

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
no heres what theyll do, they will drop the 6. just like people get the 20 or the 60 etc

so theyll keep the 4g and get the 8gb

thats my 2 cent.s

If they can confirm a 4GB shuffle in the future (link,) why in the world would they keep around a hard drive player with the same capacity?

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 38
A 4GB shuffle will NOT be coming this early. 2GB is reasonable, but 4GB is stretching it. I already think 1GB on a player with no screen is ridiculous, I pity the victim that spends countless frustrating hours clicking ">>" on his 4GB shuffle trying to find the right song.

Jul 5, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #23 of 38
Hmm, seems like I'm stuck to either the H10 or iPod mini, after realizing some customs crap if I ordered anything from the U.S or outside the EU...

I'll probably end up with the H10, at least it has user replaceable battery. Thanks for yer help.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #25 of 38
Hmmm.... i've been using the H10 for quite some time now - at least 3-4 months.
I have 2 tell you that the main competition 4 me was the iPod mini and the Zen Micro.
However recently i stumbled along the RIO Carbon (5Gb) and did a few comparisons. The Rio out preforms the H10 a tiny bit - IMHO - nevertheless - having tweaked the EQ in both DAPs can't really say that there is that big a difference. BUT - the Carbon really does not like some headphone jacks (ones with the metal disk not covered http://www.dapreview.net/content.php?review.121) and the effect that this had really amazed me!
So, my reccomendation would be - if youre going for pure Audio - then go for the carbon - and then spend some time looking for a suitable pair of headphones - afterall 20 hrs of playtime is quite impressive.
If you'd like to get a little more for your money and aren't so fussy about bettery life, then go for the H10 (has a replacable battery too!). I am sure you won't be dissapointed!
(If i got a second chance - i'd wait a little, save up another $50-$100 and buy my self an iPod - i've realised that with a good set of ears (h-phones) 5Gb is just too little when everything is at least in 320kbs )
600smile.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Am84
BUT - the Carbon really does not like some headphone jacks (ones with the metal disk not covered http://www.dapreview.net/content.php?review.121) and the effect that this had really amazed me!
So, my reccomendation would be - if youre going for pure Audio - then go for the carbon - and then spend some time looking for a suitable pair of headphones - afterall 20 hrs of playtime is quite impressive.

The static issue with the Rio Carbon is an old one that has been addressed by Rio. All new Carbons don't have this problem anymore, regardless of the headphone you use.

I think the Apple iPod Mini, Creative Zen Micro, iRvier H10 and Rio Carbon are all worthy players and you can't go wrong choosing either one of them.

iPod Mini - stylish, simple interface, tons of accessories, 4 & 6 GB models
Zen Micro - customizable menus, removable battery, FM radio, voice recorder, tons of colors, color screen someday,
H10 - color screen, removable battery, FM radio, voice recorder, other features
Carbon - great price, best battery life,

cool.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by smiryan
The new Samsung YH-J50 5Gb is going to be a great player. I would certainly consider this player before making a decision.

You sound quite certain? on www.amp3.co.uk it says it is a 6gb player. Also its 20gb cousin is only £20 more! (They don't have the 30gb though) Like anyone will get the 6gb now....

What about the Samsung YH-925GS 20GB Colour? although only 8 hrs batt compared to the 25 hrs of the YH-Jx0.....maybe its a misprint on the (above) site, 'cos 8 hrs is pretty small

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #28 of 38
I'm gonna also suggest you check out the Zen Micro. Have had mine for a few months now, running the version 2 firmware and really love the fact i can just browse to the thing as if it were a hard disk.

To give you some idea of how good they are - i work for a software company and many of our developers are apple fans and have macs and ipods as well as PCs. They were all very impressed with the micro and 2 of them have just bought one even though they still have their 20/40gb ipods.

There's not a great deal to choose between the ipod mini and the zen micro, but if you don't want to have to rely on itunes then the micro is the winner. And it is EASILY as good if not better sound quality wise. Really nice to use and sounds great with some good headphones.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #29 of 38
i need to get a player for my cousin's b-day. right now im thinking about H10 5gb because i had my ihp-120 for a long time and my bro got a flash player from them. their players and RMA is SUPER. how do girls like the look of the H10? H10 is a great player, but i need it to be "cute" for a 14 year old girl. this is the 1st time im picking out something based by the look, so help me out.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #30 of 38
well i ordered iRiver H10 5gb Silver for my cousin. im such an iriver fan boy
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back