3rd broken ipod!?
Mar 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Wiggy Fuzz

100+ Head-Fier
this month seems to be the month where everything breaks. in october last year i got myself a 120GB ipod classic. in january sound stopped coming from the left earphone driver - it was definitely a fault with the player, as it happened with every headphone. so off it went to apple. that's the last time i saw that ipod alive again...

anyway, while i was waiting for that to come back i thought i'd get an ipod touch - 32GB 2nd gen. that was in january. that ipod didn't last amonth before the dock conenctor got damaged (though for the love of life i couldn't see any damage myself on it), so i couldn't even use an LOD without it jumping and skipping. too annoying to comprehend. so that went off to apple (had to remove the jailbreak first).

that's expected back early next month. so anyway, while i'm waiting i decide to trade my psp for an 80GB classic. near enough mint condition, though over a year old. compared to the psp, so i thought it was a fair swap. and wouldn't you know it? i get the looping apple logo problem. i've tried restoring the firmware (after putting it into disk mode), and letting the battery run down. no such luck - and the guys at the apple store in london were absolutely useless. it's like their answer to anything like this is to "get a new one".

meanwhile the first ipod classic came back from repairs, but there were huge watermarks on it. i was frankly shocked, i couldn't understand how they'd gotten there, and a helpful letter from apple saying it couldn't be repaired because of the water damage and that all the data was left intact. nice... not really, because wherever the water had come from the dock connector was now corroded to the point where it wouldn't charge or work with my LOD (tested it in store).

luckily the guys where i'd gotten it from acknowledged that the water damage clearly wasn't my fault, so gave me a voucher for the value of said ipod. though i could only spend it in store (not on food).

so i'm stuck without a portable music player for a few days remaining, hopefully (unless my touch comes back wet - i say steve jobs took a p*** over mine).

2009 isn't shaping up to be a very good year for me so far...

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 8
I picked up a 2G ipod Touch when it came out in october, put an invisible skin on it and i havent been treating it well at all, and its still holding up great

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Man that sucks. Neither of my ipods have ever been broken. Even my old one from 2003 still works after jogging with it even in the rain. The battery needs replacing, though.

That's just bad luck.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Man, that's horrible all of that happening to you back to back. Well, given you have a LOD for your ipod, I'm guessing you're pretty firmly in the iPod camp but a Sony S639 might be a good alternative for you if you want a purely music player. We can't get that here in the states (unless we import it), you're in the UK so you should be able to get it pretty easily. I love my S738 which is pretty much the same as the S638 except it has a pretty useless builtin noise cancelling feature. The NC is useless to me because you have to use the included headphone.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 8
My 160gb classic had to be returned and it was replaced no issue so although I was pissed it just malfunctioned initially, they did put it right, your experiences are horrible and I hope you can get it all straightened out.

hopefully shigzeo wont reply to the thread as he would probably blame you lmao

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 160gb classic had to be returned and it was replaced no issue so although I was pissed it just malfunctioned initially, they did put it right, your experiences are horrible and I hope you can get it all straightened out.

hopefully shigzeo wont reply to the thread as he would probably blame you lmao

LOL; well I cant say it didnt cross my mind. having been an ipod (amongst other brands) user for many years and still having my first one and working too. I wonder what could be causing all this to happen?? seems too much to be purely bad luck, especially the one with dock not working, were you using a particularly large and thick LOD with it?? because it is possible to do that, but the touch doesnt have an area for the LOD to purchase on to take the strain off the LOD connection and could put stress on the logic board. if it was a thick one and you didnt form it into shape with a hot air tool or hot hairdryer that may be your problem. That info is info that should be supplied with every LOD of that type and it causes problems with ipods and amps alike.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 8
DSC_5331-1.jpg

this is the LOD i'm using. i thought it'd be flexible enough for my needs.

anyway, my touch should be back next week. i'll see if it really was a problem with the dock connector or just apple's bad design (hate the curved bottom)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back