3KHz gives a hiss
Dec 13, 2004 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kev_Boy

New Head-Fier
I have recently been hearing this annoying hiss on the 3KHz band, I had one badly produced song once and I heard that noise... but now I hear it in all of my songs, it's as if it's haunting me?!

Does anybody know what could cause this?

I've tried with 320kbps mp3s (I usually rip at 192) on both my computer and my dad's installation, and I hear the hiss at both sources. The uncompressed CDs give the same hiss, but it seems slightly less noticable.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do?

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev_Boy
Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do?

You could try asking the question in the DIY section.

Dec 13, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 5
my thinking is if i move it then "computers as source"

but.......

3khz is a tough one to have accentuated.The eare is extremely sensitive to this band and just by boosting this band you can bring the apparent "stage distance" of a musical performance forward,as if you physically moved closer to the stage and by the same method,away from the stage if this band has a "dip' in the response.This is the area where "forward" or 'distant" sounding headphones have the frequency adjusted for the desired imaging or in fact can be changed by the addition of EQ in this area.

So what seems to be the problem man ? you saying the playback has abberations in this band ? Caused by ?

i am not quite sure what is being asked so i hold off on the htread move until i know the "slot" it belongs in

rick

Dec 15, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Rick: 3khz is a tough one to have accentuated. The eare is extremely sensitive to this band and just by boosting this band you can bring the apparent "stage distance" of a musical performance forward. But what seems to be the problem man ? you saying the playback has abberations in this band ? Caused by... ?

Well, when I put my equalizer flat I can hear this annoying distortion on the guitars especially, it's this high pitched sound that gets added for whatever reason.

When I slide my 3KHz band down to -12dB it almost completely disappears, the entire song sounds slightly more bassy now aswell but it's actually quite the same, which is weird.

When I take a listen with my PC-Speakers (Little 2.0 setup mind you
wink.gif
) when I put my finger around the hole of my ears it goes away regardless of the equalizer setting, and also when I put my head below the speakers. When I put my head infront of the speakers (As you'd normally be) I can hear it again. However, my dad's home stereo has the same hissy symptons so I don't think it's the equipment nor the source considering I get it with actual CDs and 320kbps MP3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back