$3k for a home theater: go crazy!
Jun 21, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejpw
If he goes for a 5.1 system, what's a good receiver for around $1k?

The Denon 3805 is nice for around $800 (street).

The Harmon Kardon Receivers (like the 635) have a very cool auto-setup/balancing feature. There is a microphone in the remote control and you put the remote where you'll be sitting and tell the receiver to set the levels and balance on its own. Proper balance/level is important in a 5.1 setup.

The Sony ES receivers are ususally a tweaker's paradise. I have an older one that I use as a pre/pro (using pre-outs to send the signals to a Sherbourn 5 channel amp) and it has a million settings to fiddle with, though I rarely mess with them myself.

Onkyo and Marantz make nice HT receivers as well. The choice and performance are good at the $1000 price point.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 33
Another vote for Outlaw, check out the Model 990 Preamp/Processor, Its still not available I think but the 950 model might be.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990x.html

sure you will need amps to go with that but it did get high rankings from varies places.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
outlaw,nad,rotel (maybe to $$)

NAD is a great suggestion, especially if the buyer is leaning more toward music.

I don't think Outlaw makes their receiver anymore. It was a good performer, but ugly.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by deanchat
NAD is a great suggestion, especially if the buyer is leaning more toward music.

I don't think Outlaw makes their receiver anymore. It was a good performer, but ugly.

UGLY
biggrin.gif

NAD sure is a great suggestion, it also does look a little like the Outlaw
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf
UGLY
biggrin.gif

NAD sure is a great suggestion, it also does look a little like the Outlaw
tongue.gif

Yeah they do look kind of similar, with the NAD a bit less homely (a bit more "sophisticated"?) than the Outlaw.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #23 of 33
I've got a "classic" outlaw, the 1050 receiver for home theater. For $550 at the time (circa 2001) it was a great buy. Now they are extinct. I am so very happy with this product. They make great value stuff.

I also have vandersteen's, 1C's, and listen mostly to rock, and I guess they've "sucked" since I got them in 1998. What do I know? I guess I'm in the market for some new non-sucky speakers. Aaaaaaaar.

- walkman

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejpw
If he goes for a 5.1 system, what's a good receiver for around $1k?

Not to beat a dead horse, but check out the Emotive lite package at AVS123. It is under $1K and you get separates. I have yet to be disppointed with any product I have bought from them. I use a variety of their products in my secondary systems.

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
I also have vandersteen's, 1C's, and listen mostly to rock, and I guess they've "sucked" since I got them in 1998. What do I know? I guess I'm in the market for some new non-sucky speakers. Aaaaaaaar.

Dude, I'm surprised you can still hear after listening to those sucky Vandersteens for 7 years, especially with that crappy Sim Audio player!
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #27 of 33
Take your friend to a audio shop, and demo some speakers, see what he likes, what kinda music does he like to listen too?

What size is his room?
What else is in his room?
How far is he going to be sitting?

You can go with a great 2-chn system that is easily upgradable to 5.1 down the road, you don't have to get a sub right now, a lot of good stand mounted speakers in the $1-1.5k range will be great, and spend the rest on the amp + cables + accessories etc. I can list the obvious speakers brands ppl will list, there is nothing in this price range that is obviously "YES THE BEST" - just go down and spend a day with your friend at the store, and come home with the ones you like best.

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 33
Okay, so maybe I was a little too strong when I said the Vandersteen's suck for rock. Let me revise that:

TO ME, they suck for rock. That is my PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Other people have different preferences. I found the Vandersteens much too boring and laid back for rock music. I was under the impression that this was pretty well general consensus; obviously I was wrong. If you enjoy your Vandersteens, great, but for me, they just didn't do enough things right.

Jun 22, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #29 of 33
Go used for the amp and preamp

PSB 5T $600 new or newer
NAD 2 channel amp
OUTLAW processor
DENON 3910 DVD player -$1000

Should be under 3K.

Good sound for 2 channel and music and you can add speakers and amps as you go.

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #30 of 33
Understood Edward. I think your qualification is important tho, as the person who started this thread may get turned off to a potential speaker that is far more highly regarded than your post intimates. Right?

I don't think rockers seek out the vandy's, but they are good all-around speakers, one of the better "bargains" (sub $1k) in the speaker world, and seem to sound very good with all of the types of music I have played (acoustic, rock, jazz, hip hop). However, in deference to you, if I were seeking a "party speaker" for soley rocking out at loud volumes, well, even Richard Vandersteen says in the manual that this is not the speaker for that situation.

I think the suggestions for the sub $3k system mentioned by bundee are very good. There's so many things to choose from, but it's nice to get a head start with some good advice.

Oh, LOL, deanchat.
etysmile.gif

- walkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back