3D printed headphones
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #76 of 91
You meant if I want to get a tap?
A self-tapping screw is designed to do the tap work - it is specifically made to cut threads into a smooth hole. I may have misunderstood your question… with a tap, you get it for a specific size (M2 in your case) and using it cuts standard M2 threads into the hole. You don’t need any special screws to screw into a tapped hole. Regular ones will work perfectly

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #77 of 91
A self-tapping screw is designed to do the tap work - it is specifically made to cut threads into a smooth hole. I may have misunderstood your question… with a tap, you get it for a specific size (M2 in your case) and using it cuts standard M2 threads into the hole. You don’t need any special screws to screw into a tapped hole. Regular ones will work perfectly
Snipaste_2022-06-04_21-19-03.png

Do you think that highlighted part will allow for self-tapping (my interpretation of "self tapping" is creating M2 thread inside the existing hole)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #78 of 91
Snipaste_2022-06-04_21-19-03.png

Do you think that highlighted part will allow for self-tapping (my interpretation of "self tapping" is creating M2 thread inside the existing hole)
Not particularly well but close enough I guess

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #81 of 91
ok thanks. I might just go for M2 self tapping screws.

Can you pleas explain to me how and why a screw designed for self-tapping works better than a ordinary screw for creating thread inside a hole.
Generally the difference is in the design of the threads. Regular screws just have a standard, same-height, same-depth continuous thread along their entirety. Self-tapping screws will have sharper edges for easier cutting of threads and some kind of mechanism (like a lowered flat space running the length of the screw) to transport the cut material from the inside of the hole up to the top; with regular screws, yes, you can use them to "tap" materials to an extent, but only so far because the material that gets cut out of the inside of the hole to make the threads just kinda stays in the screw and gunks it up.

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #83 of 91
Generally the difference is in the design of the threads. Regular screws just have a standard, same-height, same-depth continuous thread along their entirety. Self-tapping screws will have sharper edges for easier cutting of threads and some kind of mechanism (like a lowered flat space running the length of the screw) to transport the cut material from the inside of the hole up to the top; with regular screws, yes, you can use them to "tap" materials to an extent, but only so far because the material that gets cut out of the inside of the hole to make the threads just kinda stays in the screw and gunks it up.
" (like a lowered flat space running the length of the screw)" that is reffering to the vertical slit found in most self-tapping screws?

I also got in touch with mwildebeast and he said that he just used normal screws in reply to when I asked if he used self tapping screws

Jun 7, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #84 of 91
" (like a lowered flat space running the length of the screw)" that is reffering to the vertical slit found in most self-tapping screws?

I also got in touch with mwildebeast and he said that he just used normal screws in reply to when I asked if he used self tapping screws
Yep. And you can try both. I have my preferences after a decent amount of experimentation. Try a regular screw, worst case you’ll need to run a tap or self tapping screw in to better define the threads. Best case you’re happy with the results.

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #85 of 91
Yep. And you can try both. I have my preferences after a decent amount of experimentation. Try a regular screw, worst case you’ll need to run a tap or self tapping screw in to better define the threads. Best case you’re happy with the results.

Intended how-to:
- Insert long plastic screws through the earpad plate's holes.

- Align it to the cup's holes and then let the screws go through.

- Add the backplate (open back thing) onto the insert area, then have the screws go through backplate's holes.

- Bolten up the screws, on the backplate side, with nuts.
\

What do you think? Image below is a innacurate and rushed sketch of how it should look like. Yellow nut should be on the backplate side but I added it to earplate side.

Also the holes have a clearance big enough that the screws just slide in. And cup's holes are slightly bigger than earplate plate's and backplate's.

The screws I will be getting for this are polycarbonate. If better then I can just melt off tip of screw so that nuts are bolted onto both sides, making a threaded rod.

Attachments

• Snipaste_2022-06-10_00-04-57.png
    Snipaste_2022-06-10_00-04-57.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #86 of 91
should a 0.7mm gap be enough that the screws does not make contact with the inner walls of the holes?

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #87 of 91
If anyone is thinking about a DIY 3D-printed set of cans, I've found that resin printers using a tough resin work better than FDM printers. I'm having great luck with Siraya Tech's Blu for parts that need flexibility and their ABS-like "Fast" for parts that remain pretty much stationary. Resin also works much better than FDM in my experience for really detailed work; it can be a PITA to remove the supports, but the end result is cleaner, smoother, and much, much faster to make multiples, if you fiddle with your slicer to get as many parts in as short of a vertical space as possible (note that resin printers print every vertical layer the same speed, no matter how much area in a slice is being cured).

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #88 of 91
I was thinking about headbands, somebody had a good experience with sub-20USD headphones which could be used as donors? I like the look of superlux HD330 as they look Beyerdynamic compatible (I can't buy spare parts from them, they don't ship to me).

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #89 of 91
Hello, not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this question, But I've been looking around for where to find KSC75 drivers for a 3d printed headphone project. Is there a link to an aliexpress page or somewhere else where these drivers are available?

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #90 of 91
Hello, not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this question, But I've been looking around for where to find KSC75 drivers for a 3d printed headphone project. Is there a link to an aliexpress page or somewhere else where these drivers are available?
The koss drivers are encapsulated in a plastic shell for tunning which is hard to break without damaging the speaker. If you really want the KSC75 sound the best solution would be to buy them and just make your own casing. Or you can try this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003090932410.html but I dont think those will sound exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back