3D printed headphones
Apr 22, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 91
Design 2:

IMG_3124.jpg

Converted the round cups into flat ones, with a thicker hex "grill" embedded in them. Instead of the passive radiators, I taped over the holes in the baffle with adhesive felt, and this is also my second driver being tested - a 540 ohm beryllium one. Sounds good. I think something in between this and the HOLY HELL bass of the 6 radiators would be a nice compromise. No damping in this yet. Still printing some experimental damping stuff. But this sounds better than the first one.
Very cool, interesting to see how this turns out.

How did you mount the driver?

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #17 of 91
Very cool, interesting to see how this turns out.

How did you mount the driver?
This one is glued in. Not a great solution. The first one, the driver has a ring in the middle of it that's slightly narrower than the rest of the sides, and it clicked nicely into the baffle design.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 91
This one is glued in. Not a great solution. The first one, the driver has a ring in the middle of it that's slightly narrower than the rest of the sides, and it clicked nicely into the baffle design.
I'd like to try my hand at building a headphone as well but the driver mounting solution has always stumped me.

I saw that some people were using silicone, glue, bluetack, but I really like that click in solution. Gives you the option of changing out the driver fairly easily should you want to swap it out.

Which driver did you go with?

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #19 of 91
Very cool, would definitely experiment with this if I had a 3D printer. :)

Regards to driver mounting, I know my M-Audio Q40 headphone has a fairly odd solution to driver mounting and I wonder if that's even partially the reason for the exciting bass response but the driver sits inside a "cage"-like construction that is just slightly bit bigger than the driver circumference itself so if I shake the headphone vigorously I can hear the driver even moving around very slightly. What I've noticed with this headphone it has exceptionally much of a "rumble" of the cups, this brings a "haptic"-like feel-the-bass response that is exciting to me and I've been wondering what's causing it (as I'd like to experience the same with expensier more high quality headphones) but I suppose if driver is able to move around very slightly bit the movement of the driver would probably accelerate chassis rumble too I guess that I can feel around the ears.

I guess a cage-like design could be one solution for a 3d printed driver mounting if you don't wanna glue it into place (just make it very tight fitted and appropriate damping material on the contact surfaces if you prefer less of a "rumble").

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #20 of 91
I'd like to try my hand at building a headphone as well but the driver mounting solution has always stumped me.

I saw that some people were using silicone, glue, bluetack, but I really like that click in solution. Gives you the option of changing out the driver fairly easily should you want to swap it out.

Which driver did you go with?
The first is a wool driver, 32 ohms with a very heavy magnet. The one last night is a 50mm 540 ohm beryllium driver. I’ll have to switch them between cups and baffles with and without the radiators. Right now the wool driver is in the more bulbous cups with six passive radiators each (definitely overkill), and the beryllium driver is in the flatter cups with the holes for radiators covered up with self-adhesive felt. Much more balanced presentation, needs some work on damping.

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #21 of 91
Design 2:

IMG_3124.jpg

Converted the round cups into flat ones, with a thicker hex "grill" embedded in them. Instead of the passive radiators, I taped over the holes in the baffle with adhesive felt, and this is also my second driver being tested - a 540 ohm beryllium one. Sounds good. I think something in between this and the HOLY HELL bass of the 6 radiators would be a nice compromise. No damping in this yet. Still printing some experimental damping stuff. But this sounds better than the first one.
I made my own set of diy headphones with that same beryllium driver a while back, and if I remember correctly it initially didn't have a lot of bass, so I wouldn't be surprised if you stumbled onto gold with that passive radiator design paired with that driver.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #22 of 91
Need to add a passive resistor or 2 to this new baffle, but here's the latest incarnation with the dampers between the driver and the pads I put together, with inspiration from @John Massaria

This. Sounds. Fabulous. FR graph:

can-2-with-damping-in-front.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #23 of 91
Need to add a passive resistor or 2 to this new baffle, but here's the latest incarnation with the dampers between the driver and the pads I put together, with inspiration from @John Massaria

IMG_3128.jpg

Honestly that's really damn good. Some of these diy cans can have pretty egregious fr graphs, so to get this after just a few tries is pretty impressive. I knew after using those 540 ohm beryllium drivers that they had a lot of potential, and it looks like you've found it.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 91

IMG_3128.jpg

That looks awesome, if a manufacturer had to make something like that into commercial production it'd be quite difficult and expensive.

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #26 of 91
Consider poking a hole or two in the back paper of the driver to add some bass.
I’m going to add in one passive radiator at a time from the first baffle to see how bass responds

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back