$399 Apple iPod Touch 6G with 128GB storage and A8 chip
Jul 16, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #16 of 223
  I wish they had bigger models like a 512GB or 1TB edition... 
You'd think the sizes would have evolved by now.

Do you guys use this with compressed music? Or is it for the streaming apps?
Either way, I'm surprised that head-fi'rs are interested in this.

Why do you need 512GB or 1 TB with you at all times?  Do you know how long it would take to listen to a TB of music?  There are only so many hours in the day and I would hope you weren't spending all of them listening to that much music.

The Touch can play ALAC or FLAC music with app.  The DAC in it is awesome and the form factor and interface is great, I am surprised more Head-fiers aren't interested in this, but I guess they would rather give A&K and Sony thousands of dollars.

I would really be interested in a blind level matched test with a Touch vs. a Sony.

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #17 of 223
  Why do you need 512GB or 1 TB with you at all times?  Do you know how long it would take to listen to a TB of music?  There are only so many hours in the day and I would hope you weren't spending all of them listening to that much music.

The Touch can play ALAC or FLAC music with app.  The DAC in it is awesome and the form factor and interface is great, I am surprised more Head-fiers aren't interested in this, but I guess they would rather give A&K and Sony thousands of dollars.

I would really be interested in a blind level matched test with a Touch vs. a Sony.

Sure I don't listen to 1TB of music every day but I don't know what I'm going to be listening to so I'd like to have the option.
I'm using an ipod classic and looking at all the options right now, modding it with an SSD and better battery looks like the perfect player to me.

Also, I already walk around with an iPhone, and this is basically the iPhone's dumb brother.

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #18 of 223
  I want the option of using a digital out. What is the CCK Camera Connection Kit?

USB DAC/amp such as RSA The Intruder isn't certified by Apple's MFi Program, therefore Camera Connection Kit is required as mentioned below

http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838
http://www.resonessencelabs.com/dsd-on-iphone-with-herus/

There are some third-party products from Asia as well

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43233663546
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=44240667193
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=520265562110
http://ppaproduct.blogspot.com/2013/07/usb-cable.html

They're more convenient than the official Camera Connection Kit from Apple since the connection itself only involves a single cable. However, they didn't included that authentication chip inside the Lightning connector and those cables might not work anymore once we've upgraded iOS to the latest version in the future.

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 223
Bought the 128 GB Version immediately. Will get it on Monday. Enough time to sell my 32 GB 5G on Ebay for a few bucks.
Love how slim the Touch is. And the SQ is superb. Just like meat01 said, not sure why apple has the reputation for their iPods. They sound great and have the best UI on the market.

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #20 of 223
This is effectively a $300 dap with 64gb which is a good value for those that only use compressed formats. The OS and camera rock and it will sound VG. Not a high end competitor as stock but it will easily compete/dominate in it's price range and be a joy to use. I bet it gets HiDef with one of it's future updates and can do some of that with apps as well. That's the only time I see needing more than 128gb being an issue. It certainly makes it an issue for me and I don't use my iphone for music much either but I get it.
smile.gif

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 223
I'm surprised that more headfier's are not interested in this quite honestly.  It's cheaper than the alternatives for once (apple vs sony and apple's cheaper??), it's going to 'just work' right out the box with no firmware updates required.  If nothing else you can strap a decent amp to it and have a top notch interface that just get's on and does the job.  Honestly if it were not for the damned camera (security at work means no cameras allowed)I'd have been all over this.  Now if only apple would release a 128 gig nano in that form factor things would get interesting,  There's as much chance of that as hell freezing over though!

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 223
My iPod Touch 6G arrived this morning (nice to be close to shipping center) and it's fantastic.  Much faster than the 5G model and seems to be a bit more powerful.  It can easily power my Dunu DN-2000Js.  I mainly got it to replace my Fiio X5II because I realized that most of the time when I was listening to my X5II I would hear a song and I'd want to listen to the rest of the album, or a guest artist, etc and that just isn't available when you're using a standalone DAP.  Being able to pull up Google Music or Tidal (for my HiFi needs) is essential to my everyday usage and it makes the Touch a great value.  

Hooking it up to my HA-2 amp and we've got a really slim/light portable stack.

It also replaces my Clip Zip Sport for gym use...so I really solved quite a few issues w/ the upgraded Touch.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #24 of 223
I agree davidcotton, I am very interested because I have a large iTunes library in lossless format. I was considering getting a Fiio or iBasso, but for the money this is a decent value because I am very familiar with the interface, and having wifi and bluetooth, and the ability to run apps, is very useful. I wish it did not have a camera, but I have to seriously consider this. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #25 of 223
  My iPod Touch 6G arrived this morning (nice to be close to shipping center) and it's fantastic.  Much faster than the 5G model and seems to be a bit more powerful.  It can easily power my Dunu DN-2000Js.  I mainly got it to replace my Fiio X5II because I realized that most of the time when I was listening to my X5II I would hear a song and I'd want to listen to the rest of the album, or a guest artist, etc and that just isn't available when you're using a standalone DAP.  Being able to pull up Google Music or Tidal (for my HiFi needs) is essential to my everyday usage and it makes the Touch a great value.  

It also replaces my Clip Zip Sport for gym use...so I really solved quite a few issues w/ the upgraded Touch.

Nice.  It seemed that you liked the X5 II from that thread but I saw that you sold it today (I am also selling it right now).  I found that while the SQ was really good, I couldn't get past the scroll wheel after being used to touchscreens for so long.  Maybe its time to get another DX90.

I am curious to hear how the 6G sounds in comparison to the X5 II without a DAC/amp so let us hear your impressions once you have more time with the unit.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 223
  I agree davidcotton, I am very interested because I have a large iTunes library in lossless format. I was considering getting a Fiio or iBasso, but for the money this is a decent value because I am very familiar with the interface, and having wifi and bluetooth, and the ability to run apps, is very useful. I wish it did not have a camera, but I have to seriously consider this. 

Why do you wish it didn't have a camera, might I ask?

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #27 of 223

Nice.  It seemed that you liked the X5 II from that thread but I saw that you sold it today (I am also selling it right now).  I found that while the SQ was really good, I couldn't get past the scroll wheel after being used to touchscreens for so long.  Maybe its time to get another DX90.

I am curious to hear how the 6G sounds in comparison to the X5 II without a DAC/amp so let us hear your impressions once you have more time with the unit.

I loved the X5II from a sound point of view.  But like I said, it was just too limited for my usage patterns.  I don't mind the scroll wheel or anything really, but I just wanted a device that I could do everything on, even if it means a slight loss in SQ.  The short session I had streaming some Tidal was wonderful.  It's definitely warmer, with a more pronounced low end and a more rolled off treble compared to the X5II, but I guess that's to be expected since it's an Apple product.  Paired w/ the DN2000Js, it's just about perfect.  They are a bit bright w/ the X5II but that is tamed a bit w/ the 6G which might just make me really really happy.  :)

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #28 of 223
Simply because it adds to the cost and pictures take up memory. I prefer taking photos with a DSLR. I admit the camera is very convenient, and I would use it from time to time, but I would have preferred a model without a camera. I'm not knocking the camera itself, it seems very good, it's just a personal preference thing. I could end up being wrong about this though. :) 

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #29 of 223
I'm surprised that more headfier's are not interested in this quite honestly. 

Head-Fi been on dap Renaissance for past two-years. Most of the credit goes to iriver for creating the A&K brand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back