384 khz missing from Windows 10 sound settings with ZEN DAC
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Jaeger 77

Head-Fier
Hello friends!
I recently purchased an iFi ZEN DAC and i facing a little problem with it... In Windows 10 PRO x64 i cannot found the 32 bit/384 khz setting in audio settings,mine only shows 32 bit/192 khz max,despite the fact that ZEN is rated at 384 khz in PCM mode. Otherwise,the dac performing as it should and provide nice and crispy clear sound on Tidal HI-FI.
Dac is connected to my PC in a 3.0 usb port.
So i'm wonder if is my dac or just Windows 10 fault here?... I have latest USB audio driver installed from iFi website and firmware version of the device is 5.30.
What shall i do next?

Attachments

• fgh.png
    fgh.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
  • sdf.png
    sdf.png
    9.2 MB · Views: 0
  • jkl.png
    jkl.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 26
It seems like that. Besides, in MS Windows you should avoid using system mixer at all cost, it is the most important for SQ. Is your setup like on the photo attached? It is the first step. Then in your application select WASAPI event mode driver output for bit-perfect transfer. When you do both, speed settings in Windows Sound Control Panel becomes irrelevant. Your application will decide on the sampling rate or just passing the original source without any resampling (recommended).

Attachments

• exclusive_mode.png
    exclusive_mode.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 26
Yes,i already done that in speaker properties. I use TIDAL Hi-Fi/Master for music listening. How do i set WASAPI in Tidal?... There is a way to set that in Windows too?
My settings in Tidal are the proper once (i guess): exclusive mode on and force volume on. Also MQA is working properly indicated by magenta led on the whell volume.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 26
Then your initial question was merely to satisfy your curiosity, not linked to Tidal. Tidal must use WASAPI driver, no other way, otherwise data stream would be altered and MQA promised miracle would not work. As they say "exclusive mode", it is 'exclusively' WASAPI driver terminology. I think it makes it clear. :)

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 26
...How do i set WASAPI in Tidal?...

Instead of WASAPI, I am using ASIO like this:
1. Download and install ASIO4ALL
2. Download and install HIFI-CABLE & ASIO-Bridge. Reboot your computer.
3. Open Sound settings in the Windows Control Panel. You should now have a new device named Hi-Fi Cable Input visible. Select it as the default device
4. Open a music program (e.g. Tidal) and play any track as you would normally
5. If you don't get any sound find ASIO4ALL in the bottom right of the taskbar. The icon should look like a Play or Pause-button. Click to open ASIO4ALL settings. Make sure your soundcard is enabled in the list (click the button to make it blue)

... mine only shows 32 bit/192 khz max ...
audiophile.jpg

Enjoy the music, not the numbers :wink:

Attachments

• audiophile.jpg
    audiophile.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 26
I am aware that Windows mixer is "bad", but i've been testing ASIO/WASAPI vs. going through Win Mixer, and couldn't hear any difference in the sound - or it was so small that i couldn't remember it few seconds after I turn ASIO off.
Using LCD2f and speakers Focal 1028be as a reference.
On my PC i am using Equalizer APO which requries Win mixer in order to apply EQ, and was worried that lack of ASIO will cause sound degradaion, but I just don't hear any:/

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 26
I am aware that Windows mixer is "bad", but i've been testing ASIO/WASAPI vs. going through Win Mixer, and couldn't hear any difference in the sound - or it was so small that i couldn't remember it few seconds after I turn ASIO off.
On my PC i am using Equalizer APO which requries Win mixer in order to apply EQ, and was worried that lack of ASIO will cause sound degradaion, but I just don't hear any:/

Many folks would have it difficult to track these changes and I wouldn't worry about them :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 26
Well, it depends on your music source: MP3, loudness war, synthetised music? PC internal sound codec?

My ears are old, but when I listen to a CD rip of a quality recording, there is a difference. So far I didn't see a reason to use EQ in Foobar, it is a player I use.

Other possibility is that Zen DAC sounds so bad that @iFi audio knows it is quite common observation. :)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 26
Well, it depends on your music source: MP3, loudness war, synthetised music? PC internal sound codec?

My ears are old, but when I listen to a CD rip of a quality recording, there is a difference. So far I didn't see a reason to use EQ in Foobar, it is a player I use.

Other possibility is that Zen DAC sounds so bad that @iFi audio knows it is quite common observation. :)

Using Tidal and foobar, all lossless, thats not the problem. And not using Zen DAC here but xDuoo XA10 integrated dac/amp, and AQ Dragonfly Red+Burson Soloist with LCD2. On stereo system i have Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, so definitelly DACs are good enough.

LCD2f requries EQ to sound great, otherwise they are just good.

IMO Windows mixer was really bad in Win 95/XP era, but now its good enough even it has measurable distortion and artefacts, but beyond what we can notice unless having ultra-hi-end-fi in dedicated listening room. Or my ears are getting old:)

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 26
Using Tidal and foobar, all lossless, thats not the problem. And not using Zen DAC here but xDuoo XA10 integrated dac/amp, and AQ Dragonfly Red+Burson Soloist with LCD2. On stereo system i have Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, so definitelly DACs are good enough.

LCD2f requries EQ to sound great, otherwise they are just good.

IMO Windows mixer was really bad in Win 95/XP era, but now its good enough even it has measurable distortion and artefacts, but beyond what we can notice unless having ultra-hi-end-fi in dedicated listening room. Or my ears are getting old:)
- Internal codec is cleared up,
- Zen DAC is cleared up, @iFi audio can rest, will be relieved, :wink:
- Music player is cleared up,
- Your HP's require EQ, it is fine. I use Sennheiser HD600, it is why bit-perfect works for me,
- The only things you didn't address is a quality of a music source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back