$350 to spend. Ultrasone Pro 900 or Sennheiser HD650?
Nov 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:

Will the E9 or the E11 both work fine for the Ultrasone 900 or the HD650's?  

I use the E7/E9 combo with the HD650's and I think they sound good.  That being said my only experience is listening to them through my home receiver and the E9, so I cannot offer any comparisons.

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  

Will the E9 or the E11 both work fine for the Ultrasone 900 or the HD650's?  

I drive my Pro 900 and HD-600 from the E7, E9, and E11.  They are powerful enough to drive them ok, but from what I read they will both improve even more with more powerful amps.  But they should hold you off until you have the budget for a really good amp.

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #19 of 32
As far as amping goes with the Ultrasone Pro900's, I would get something along the lines of the D6/D12 from iBasso.  As the Pro900's don't need a whole lot in the amping department, it's more about synergy, and I think with that Amp/DAC are where the Pro900s really belong.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Neither,

You won't have an amp.

Your headphone suggestions: Denon D5000 (first pick; used). Denon D2000 (second pick; used or new). Ultrasone HFI 2400 (third pick; used or new). Then, Ultrasone HFI 580, Beyer DT770 32ohm, Panasonic HTF600, Shure SRH750 DJ, etc.

Very best,

How would the D5000s stack up in terms of vocals? Found a new pair for around the same price as the Pro 900s,  bass isnt as much a priority, but if they have a much more brought out midrange I'd probably prefer those

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #22 of 32
After some more research, I have read that the Beyerdynamic DT990's may offer the bass I like.  Paired with an amp, I will be slightly over budget, and that's fine.  

Is that a good option?  

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #23 of 32

Quote:
Quote:

How would the D5000s stack up in terms of vocals? Found a new pair for around the same price as the Pro 900s,  bass isnt as much a priority, but if they have a much more brought out midrange I'd probably prefer those

Heya,

D5000 does great for vocals; it's mid section is not recessed (like the D2000 & PRO900, the PRO900 even more so). The D5000 has a better mids & treble while maintaining the excellent sub bass and warmth. I went from PRO900 to D2000 to D5000 and I still think it's by far the better headphone out of that bunch for all genres and purposes.

Very best,

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #25 of 32
Dude buy the HD-650. You DO NOT NEED an amp for them. It would be nice to have one, but your don't NEED one. You will be able to enjoy 90% of what they can offer without an amp. Take it from an average guy, having 300+ original CDs with techno, trance, dnb, goa, etc. No bias here.

I have the 650s and I first started listening directly from an iPhone 3G and believe me, it sounded good (320kb, full stereo).
Then I progressed to a CD Player Technics SL-P77. Better sound - but not by much.
Then to a headphone amp - LD MK III with the best tubes you can find. Again, SOME progress, but not much. Indeed, if you want to loose your hearing you need an amp for that.

Don't forget who you're talking to on this forum. It's like asking on a BMW forum what do they think about Toyota. They will say Toyota doesn't make cars and they would rather die before owning one. You got my point ...

So save yourself some money and skip the amp for now.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #27 of 32
I've tried them off an iPhone 3GS and they sound very ordinary, the HD595s were great off the iPhone, and put them to shame, but run them off a moderately priced second hand AV receiver with a decent headphone output stage, and they're rather excellent.  So while you don't need an expensive amp (my 15 year old Denon AVR-1601 that's worth probably $50 tops, $10 at a garage sale amps them more than adequately) no amp off the iphone makes them sound worse than my sister's HD485s, which she paid $30 for at a JB-Hifi discount bin. 

And being a devoted BMW fanboy, I completely agree with the statements regarding Toyota, real cars have rear wheel drive, 50:50 weight balance and straight 6 engines :p
Quote:
Dude buy the HD-650. You DO NOT NEED an amp for them. It would be nice to have one, but your don't NEED one. You will be able to enjoy 90% of what they can offer without an amp. Take it from an average guy, having 300+ original CDs with techno, trance, dnb, goa, etc. No bias here.

I have the 650s and I first started listening directly from an iPhone 3G and believe me, it sounded good (320kb, full stereo).
Then I progressed to a CD Player Technics SL-P77. Better sound - but not by much.
Then to a headphone amp - LD MK III with the best tubes you can find. Again, SOME progress, but not much. Indeed, if you want to loose your hearing you need an amp for that.

Don't forget who you're talking to on this forum. It's like asking on a BMW forum what do they think about Toyota. They will say Toyota doesn't make cars and they would rather die before owning one. You got my point ...

So save yourself some money and skip the amp for now.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
I've tried them off an iPhone 3GS and they sound very ordinary, the HD595s were great off the iPhone, and put them to shame, but run them off a moderately priced second hand AV receiver with a decent headphone output stage, and they're rather excellent.  So while you don't need an expensive amp (my 15 year old Denon AVR-1601 that's worth probably $50 tops, $10 at a garage sale amps them more than adequately) no amp off the iphone makes them sound worse than my sister's HD485s, which she paid $30 for at a JB-Hifi discount bin. 

And being a devoted BMW fanboy, I completely agree with the statements regarding Toyota, real cars have rear wheel drive, 50:50 weight balance and straight 6 engines :p

Hey!  What about all-wheel drive?  Did you forget about the legendary Lancer Evo & WRX Sti?
wink_face.gif
  Though, I concur that from a car enthusiast stand-point, Toyota has very little to offer.  A shame really as they have quite a wealth of knowledge and racing experience.  One misses the days of the twin turbo Supra.  In any case, with all the sporty options available today who needs a sporty Toyota anyway?

To return to the topic at hand, I was one who wanted to avoid using headphone amps.  I did not want the extra cost and figured my portable would be enough.  Then I heard one of my headphones played through a studio quality amp, needless to say I have been a convert ever since.  My point is, if one wants to get quality performance from their higher quality headphone, then a quality amp is highly recommended. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #29 of 32
Hate to bump this thread, but am in need of more assistance.  

I found a pair of headphones on eBay for a really good price, and I want to pull the trigger.  

BUT.

There's no box, and they are used.  The price is much lower than new, though, which entices me.  The seller's feedback is 100% and has 1200 sales/buys.  

I'm thinking of forgetting it, and just buying something off the Classifieds here, which is much more trustworthy.  

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #30 of 32
If the seller seems reputable, then you should be okay.  Does the seller offer a return policy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back