$350 Headphone Amp: Creek or MG Head; or Other?
Dec 1, 2001 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

merc

100+ Head-Fier
I went ahead and bought Senn HD-600 Headphones and now I need an amp for them. I've searched this forum and the consensus seems to be one of these two amps:
- Creek OBH-11SE ($293 delivered)
or
- MG Head DT OTL ($350? delivered)
First, if my max cost is $350, are there any other better amps available for listening to classical music on my HD-600s?
If not, which of these two amps should I buy?
Finally, if you recommend the MG Head, where is the best/cheapest place to buy it.
Thank you all very much for your help!

Dec 1, 2001 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 19
If you are in Canada, then Brooklyn Audio will charge you $400CND shipped for MG Head, but not the OTL model.

Dec 1, 2001 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 19
Is the OTL even available yet?
Is the $350 cost for the MG Head with cage and OTL?
Thanks!

Dec 1, 2001 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 19
PC Corp: I'm in Texas, USA. Is Brooklyn Audio in NY?

Dec 1, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 19
$350??

I've heard that the MG Head OTL will cost about $600.

If they cost $350, then I think they will have a hard time to meed the demand here.

Dec 1, 2001 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 19
PC Corp: I thought I just read in another post that the manufacturer, Joe, posted that the OTL would only be slightly more expensive than the MG Head (with cage). The $600 cost is for a future un-named amp that they are working on...

Dec 1, 2001 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by merc
Is Brooklyn Audio in NY?

No, they are in Canada.

Dec 2, 2001 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 19
Merc: I have the MG Head DT and it is better IMO than the all the Creek amps.

The OTL vversion is simply a modification...which BTW can be done after the fact. I also have the HD600s. I am in no rush to make this upgrade.

I would not be inclined to rush out and pay more money on this modification unless it is necessary...Indeed...unless you here the regular DT version you won't know if the mod made one bit of difference and you're out money.

I recommend the DT...try it for a good while and if you want the extra bottom end - which is not necessarily an improvement if it has adverse effects elsewhere in the audible spectrum - then ask Joseph for the instructions on making the Head an OTL...It sounds as though the modification is fairly simple and you might be able to do it yourself...I'd ask him first though...you might need a soldering gun or something...Still that would be cheaper than paying someone else...and you might learn something to boot.

Dec 2, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 19
Hey guys,

If you'd like you can see my review thread for some info about the OTL. Sure you can do the mod but you don't get the face plate and it would take a while to integrate the switches in etc.

It's up to you... but if you like classical I'd highly recommend the OTL.

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 19
evilcthul:

What do you mean by integrating switches etc. I thought Joseph said this was easy peazy modification?

Dec 2, 2001 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 19
Rga,

It's easy for sure but if you want to do the mod with a bit more finesse ie. allow for changing between OTL and non-OTL then it's gonna take a bit of work to rewire the switch. Otherwise, if you're happy to stick it on OTL permanently then there is no problem.

Dec 2, 2001 at 1:10 PM Post #14 of 19
Hmmmmmm, the bottle heads seem to be dominating things here
but for under $350 I think you can do no better than Corda amp
using 0 ohm output with Sehh HD600. Only problem is they are somewhat harder to get, but worth the trouble. Then to top things off a Clou red/blue jaspis cable is mandatory to extract full performance, you now have a no hassle excellent sounding system.

Senn HD600/Clou blue jaspis/Corda amp (0 ohm output)

BTW the Creek and MG head are nice also, Creek much smaller if that is an issue

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 19
evilcthul

This may sound strange(though it should'nt)...But if the OTL version is better...then why would one need a switch to put it back to the non OTL version? If you do want to switch back then the OTL version is not an upgrade.

I guess it's not a big deal because the price difference is not huge...but I don't really feel that bass is lacking...there is room for improvement though...but if you're not a big heavy bass listener then the OTL may not be required.

Oddly, classical music offers more low end response than dance music but if the Regular Head DT shows any bass lightness it is in the Dance/Rap and Trance recordings...which may in fact be a result of the HD600s not doubling the lower frequencies(which is a good thing) like my Sonys.

Indeed, with the Sonys tremendous bass response the Head has no trouble.

I will consider the upgrade, but I need to understand why it is that this modification will actually improve the overall sound...the last thing I want is the Sony sound out of the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back