$350 budget, need an upgrade over RE0.
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jp_zer0

100+ Head-Fier
Full-size cans are ok but I need isolation. Was using the AD900's but my computer is making too much noise and it's distracting me/giving me a short attention span. Put the RE0 back on (cable up) and it was a revelation.

any ideas?

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has some similarities, but according to vorlon1, the AD900 sounds the closest to the CK10. I have not heard the AD900, but I trust his words.

CK10

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CK10

I was thinking something like that too but having only IEM and an Audio-GD FUN seems like overkill
confused.gif
Does it outperform a closed fullsize in that price range?

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 17
I would always go with a full size can if it's a home setup. In my opinion my Iem's do NOT compare at all to my full sized headphones. Lol I actually got disgusted while putting on my re0's after listening to my D7000's last night. That's not a fair comparison but I compared the similarly priced D2000's to the senn Ie8's and I would always prefer the D2000's for a "home" setup.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 17
Why don't you get some good closed full size headphones.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 17
E-Q7 has wide soundstage with great clarity and overall very clean with deep bass(highely recommended). The soundstage on MTP MD is very wide and rounded with great details in music. Sennheiser IE8 also has wider soundstage with rich bass and shows good details in mids and highs.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would always go with a full size can if it's a home setup. In my opinion my Iem's do NOT compare at all to my full sized headphones. Lol I actually got disgusted while putting on my re0's after listening to my D7000's last night. Needless to say there were taken out of my ears immediately.

Lol, I don't think that's quite the fair comparison. Budget performer vs top of the line. I'm actually having trouble listening to full sizes after my IEMs. The thing about full sizes is that generally, the higher up in price you go, the more amp dependant the headphones become, idk if that's an issue for the OP.

What sound signature do you like? Your current headphones show that you seem to prefer a brighter or neutral sound sig, but I'm not sure. You may wanna try the CK10, the Ortophons, or some of the Monster IEMs.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 17
If you don't want portability,then full size headphones are a no brainer,bit you have to give us some informations.I agree with 'Napilopez',with headphones you always will spend to cure the weak chain in the setup and in the $350,there are headphones that seriously need a powerful amp(d5000,hd6*0,ak701,Dt***...).

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 17
None of the IEMs I've heard so far a true upgrade over the RE0, because each has some apparent flaws, while RE0 does not - it is pretty much perfectly balanced. I also disagree that IEMs can't compete with full-sized headphones - they certainly can! They just offer a different, somewhat more compressed, less dynamic presentation. I think that RE0 is around Sennheiser HD580/600, Grado SR325, AKG K601 level, because it easily outperformed my Shure SRH840 and Sennheiser HD555 in almost every way, except for perhaps bass impact, dynamics and soundstage. Well, OK maybe RE0 is not quite as good as a perfectly amped HD600 or K601, but I can say with confidence that it is fully competitive with solid mid-fi cans like SR225 and HD595. But then I have never heard an RE0 out of a high-end source and amp, and considering how well this IEM seems to scale with better sources and amplification, I wouldn't be surprised if it can indeed compete with high end full sized headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, I don't think that's quite the fair comparison. Budget performer vs top of the line. I'm actually having trouble listening to full sizes after my IEMs. The thing about full sizes is that generally, the higher up in price you go, the more amp dependant the headphones become, idk if that's an issue for the OP.

What sound signature do you like? Your current headphones show that you seem to prefer a brighter or neutral sound sig, but I'm not sure. You may wanna try the CK10, the Ortophons, or some of the Monster IEMs.

Well, remember that RE0 used to be a $200 IEM - that's not a budget headphone. More like a solid mid level IEM.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 17
lol..this thread makes me want the AD900 even more for some reason
smily_headphones1.gif

The CK10 would be a good choice if you were to upgrade from the RE0 but your second post in this thread is a bit confusing. If you were to upgrade would you be selling both your RE0 and AD900 to fund it?

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol..this thread makes me want the AD900 even more for some reason
smily_headphones1.gif

The CK10 would be a good choice if you were to upgrade from the RE0 but your second post in this thread is a bit confusing. If you were to upgrade would you be selling both your RE0 and AD900 to fund it?

Yeah, I plan on selling the AD900.

But I do have a great amp and DAC so full-sizes are not a problem and if you guys say that this is the way to go I'll probably pick something like an A900Ti, A1000X or W1000. Didn't see the first two below MSRP anywhere though.

But yes, I do like neutral-ish phones. I'll be looking for that.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not a budget headphone. More like a solid mid level IEM.

Yea, I know =P I was thinking of specifying that, but as of now, they are what they are, budget performers. Either way, d7000 vs re0 isn't quite the fair comparison

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 17
Lol I didn't mean to put it like that. For $350 and listening at a computer I figured he might as well have a dedicated closed headphone that isolates unless he's traveling a lot or just prefers IEM's.

I guess it's all preference though.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would always go with a full size can if it's a home setup. In my opinion my Iem's do NOT compare at all to my full sized headphones. Lol I actually got disgusted while putting on my re0's after listening to my D7000's last night. That's not a fair comparison but I compared the similarly priced D2000's to the senn Ie8's and I would always prefer the D2000's for a "home" setup.

Would you say that about closed full sized cans or just open ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back