$35 Hakko 936 Clone - First Impressions **56k warning**
Sep 22, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #31 of 76
Just bought the CSI-Station2. It's 49.95, but I got it because they send you a free DMM with an order of $50 or more. So I got that and a tube of solder. This is all for the MINT I"m building
icon10.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #33 of 76
I recieved my 936 clone and a replacement handle for my Weller WLC100 today. MPJA.com (where I bought the Weller from) sent me the replacement handle with no questions asked after I sent them an email about the previous handle dying.

When I first recieved the WLC100 I thought it was a great station. Neglecting the fact a handle died after only a few hours use I still consider it a very good station. It is compact and the iron feels good, but the temperature adjustment on the station goes from 1-5 instead of giving an actual temperature.

The CSI 936 is much heavier than the Weller station and the iron holder is seperate from the temperature part. The temperature adjustment is based on actual temperature, is infinitely adjustable and there is a nice little light to tell you when the iron is warmed up to the specified temperature. The iron itself is very slender in comparison to the Weller, but it doesn't feel quite as natural to me. This may be because I am used to cheap, fat Radio Shack irons and the Weller. The only problem I have with this iron is that around 750F the iron starts getting pretty hot to the touch and at around 800F I have trouble holding it for very long. I can't imagine using this iron up to the 896F setting it has. Other than the heat coming through the handle I think this is an amazing deal. I think I am going to have to do something about the heat though.

In the past few hours I soldered an AD8620 to a browndog (my first SMD soldering), 2 stacks of of BUF634s (4 each) and a few wires. All of it worked great.

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #34 of 76
Just got my CSI-Station2 in the mail today. I'm impressed with how good the station looks, however, the grip looks a bit cheap on the soldering iron. I haven't used it yet, but initial impressions say the CSI-Station2 probably has the same heat problem as the Station1. Many spelling mistakes in the manual, it's obvious that its a cheap clone, but hopefully it does its job well (and from the responses, it seems like it will). I wish I had pictures for you guys, but no camera
tongue.gif

Edit: Another minor problem I notice, is that while the soldering iron sits well in the holder, the handle is heavy and if bumped, might have a tendency to tilt backwards. Also, they include an extra ceramic heater core for the soldering iron, which is nice plus.

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #35 of 76
More comments about the CSI-2:

Station did not come with rubber feet, could be a problem at some point.
Temperature is nice, move the knob and the LCD shows what you have selected, then in half a second, it switches to the actual temperature which is measured several times per second. Nothing else to report, I'll post again once I start using it.

Oct 3, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #36 of 76
After using the iron for a while today to build a Pimeta I got sick of the heat from the handle. I went to Jo Ann Fabric and bought a ball of Acrylic/Wool yarn for $2, took off the rubber grip and wrapped the handle in yarn. It took about 5 minutes to wrap. After a few minutes of testing the results are good. At 700F I can barely feel any heat on the handle. At 900F the handle is a bit warm, but by no means hot (felt similar to the iron at around 600F before). Below is a picture of the handle.

iron.jpg

Oct 3, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #37 of 76
Well, I built my MINT amp with it already, and it's a great iron. The temperature sensor isn't as sensitive as it could be, so the display really isn't that useful. If I were to buy a new iron, it would be the Station1.

Oct 4, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
How do they ground the Hakko ESD safe version? Is it really that different from the no ESD safe one?

-Ed

Looking at all the specs for both, they seem identical - the important numbers to being ESD safe are the tip-to-ground resistance and tip-to-ground voltage. In both the CSI-1 and 936-12 (ESD safe) the tip-to-ground resistance is <2ohm and tip-to-ground voltage is <2mV (Typical .6mV). It takes a pretty expensive multimeter to even measure that - a $300 Fluke 87 only goes down to 1mV and can't measure more finely than single mV divisions. I'd be VERY surprised if anyone ever had ESD problems with one of these. As long as I've been saying such good things about them, I guess it's time for me to buy one. We'll see how soon it gets here.

Jimmy.

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #40 of 76
Is it hot enought to handle silver wire and high grade tin/silver solder?

Oct 5, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by patricklang
Is it hot enought to handle silver wire and high grade tin/silver solder?

If you ignore solder SPECIFICALLY designed for high-temperature applications and brass jewelry solder, there aren't really any commercial solders with a melting temperature above about 450F. The standard solders are mostly in the mid 300's F, with silver solders in the mid to high 300's and lead-free solders between 400 and 450F. In centigrade, this is a range of about 180-240C. These temperatures are well within the range of this soldering station.

Oh - and looking at the picture at the top of this thread (as opposed to the ones on web-tronics.com), there actually IS an ESD safe mark on the bottom right corner of the station. Not sure if that's standard or not, never know with OEM's.

Oct 5, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #42 of 76
I got the Hakko 936 ESD Dafe soldering station and it is just brilliant. Handles silver solder like a furnace on steroids...handle stays completely cool...tip stays clean and heats up quick and even.

I had the $36.00 clone for a few days - handle got too hot and heating was inconsistent. But it was better than ratshack crap. You could do a LOT worse for the money.

I wanted a top notch soldering station and hence the decision. I am serious about my DIY work here. If you are in for hoots then this should be a decent choice
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #43 of 76
I just ordered the clone. It should be a big step up from me, I've had my ratshack 15w more than half my life I think.

What silver solder did you choose btw gsferrari?

Oct 6, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #44 of 76
Found a NZ source. www.sicom.co.nz is carrying something similar at NZ$92.90 +GST. However, the analog version did not say it is ESD safe. Double check with sicom before you buy.
Do a search in sicom under 936 and you will see it.

(updated price and removed link).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back