336SE Mega-Thread
Nov 28, 2008 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
Well, I had fun reading all the tube-rolling threads, but I don't think the 336SE has gotten a very comprehensive review.

So, anyone that has one, feel free to post what you think of your 336, or post your own review, and definitely post some more pix. Some interior pix would be awesome, too.

Mine's on the way, along with a Moodlab DAC.

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 24
Here is a picture of mine using a 6F8G for the input tube (note that this requires the use of an adapter).

DSC01809.jpg

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 24
My first proper headphone amp and i am very very happy. Still have to adjust to this new level yet but one of my best buys
beyersmile.png

336se1.jpg

336se2.jpg

Ill try get some clean pictures without the dust
confused_face.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 24
Man, thems is some sexy tubies. Keep the pictures coming, I'm really excited.

Oh, and something ironic happened today...after researching tubes and deciding on a 336se, i went to Ultimate Electronics today (if your area doesn't have one, well, it's like a Best Buy but no computer stuff, just A/V) and saw on display a few tube iPod stereos.

They had an okay sound, but I was really floored just to see a tube amp in a big box store.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 24
I like that 68FG mod, how did it affect the 336's sound?

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 24
The 6F8G is very, very similar to the 6SN7 (just different pin-out and the grid cap), but sonically they are very similar when comparing a 6SN7 and 6F8G that the same type of plate construction.

But this is not a good first step. The important first step is to replace the pretty poor Chinese tubes that come with the 336 with some decent NOS/vintage tubes. An RCA 6AS7G for the power tube and any decent 6SN7 type (there are whole threads dedicated to this type of tube) if an important upgrade over the stock 336.

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 24
Yeah Skylab, you're who I trust on 336 stuff...I did what you said in one thread (it sounded like the easiest first step and a safe bet) and picked up a new-production tung-sol preamp tube and a 6080 power tube from tubedepot.

From what you said, they should liven up my 650s too. Also, they should be shipping my Moodlab DAC soon...pix to come.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 24
Cool. That will be an improvement, although I do think that almost all vintage 6SN7's sound better than the re-issued Tung-Sol; however, it does sound better than the stock Chinese tube, and of course is easier and cheaper to get in known new condition.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 24
Nice pictures
smily_headphones1.gif
I will have my 336se on Monday. It's waiting for me at the local DHL office but they're closed this weekend... I'll post some pictures when I get it.

-Steve.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 24
Nov 30, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 24
Nice tubes, post a review on this page when they come. I'll review the new-line Tung-sol 6SN7 tubes and the old mil-spec 6080 tube I ordered (NOS). Specifically, I'll compare them to the Chinese tubes to see how much upgrade $30 on tubedepot buys compared to the ghetto OEM crap that comes in the 336SE.

You'd think for the money they could at least make the most important part of the tube amp (hint: the tube) an area they spend some money on. At least some sort of high-quality current-production tube. From what people like Skylab say, the stock tubes are repugnant, but I think some people haven't even listened to them...when their 336SE came, it underwent surgery immediately.

A couple noob questions. First, does this unit ship with the stock tubes socketed already? Also, when you roll in a tube, does it have a particular orientation 360-degrees-wise (like one position) or can you stick it in at any rotation/

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 24
There is a little guide pin on both the 6SN7 and 6AS7 that prevents you from putting the tube in the wrong way. You'll see when you either get your tubes or if you pull one out of your amp (if you haven't done this, don't do it roughly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back