32GB Touch vs 16GB iPad
Mar 23, 2011 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
I know - always go for the device with more storage, right ? As always, its a cost thing,  particularly when I dont want to spend any money at all (!) :

32GB Touch is 378 AUD  (64GB Touch 499 - crazy IMO)
16GB iPad is   449 AUD

I guess the key question here is simple : assuming they have similar sonic capabilities (and everything I have read indicates that they do), does the increased screen size etc make the iPad a better buy ? I wouldnt have considered either before I bought my 6G Nano, but it has restored my faith in the iDevice as a portable sound machine - the fun starts when you begin comparing prices and thinking about watching the odd movie on a long-haul flight etc. Then you see the screenshots for 'Infinity Blade' and, well, you know the rest.

Thoughts ?

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 27

I have to admit that I LOVE my iPad.

The biggest thing to consider is are you willing to haul the iPad around, and if you want to amp it, how are you doing to deal with that. I had a tough time positioning an E7 on it with velcro in a spot that it was out of the way. EQu on the iPad is beautiful, and completely replaces the 'iPod' app you usually use.

Basically. If you plan on watching movies and playing games, I'd go with the iPad. If you're using it for primarily music, get the Touch.

The Touch's smaller footprint makes it much nicer to carry, but iPads really are a wonderful device. I bought mine for videos and music PRODUCTION (there's some AMAZING apps for production, and with the recent midi support, oh boy).

Music: Advantage Touch
Portability: Advantage Touch
EVerything else: iPad
Quote:
I know - always go for the device with more storage, right ? As always, its a cost thing,  particularly when I dont want to spend any money at all (!) :

32GB Touch is 378 AUD  (64GB Touch 499 - crazy IMO)
16GB iPad is   449 AUD

I guess the key question here is simple : assuming they have similar sonic capabilities (and everything I have read indicates that they do), does the increased screen size etc make the iPad a better buy ? I wouldnt have considered either before I bought my 6G Nano, but it has restored my faith in the iDevice as a portable sound machine - the fun starts when you begin comparing prices and thinking about watching the odd movie on a long-haul flight etc. Then you see the screenshots for 'Infinity Blade' and, well, you know the rest.

Thoughts ?

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 27

Quote:
That added memory isn't as critical now with Home Sharing in the 4.3 update.

Assuming that you are at home....
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 27
It's not that big a deal anyway though. I personally have never had much trouble with 16gb of music on me at all times. I can get away with 8gb, but not too happily.

More memory is always better just because you don't have to pick and choose as much, but it's not bad at all at that 16gb point.

Quote:
Assuming that you are at home....
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 27
Thanks for the feedback guys - greatly appreciated. The geek in me wants the iPad, the music lover says 'Get the Touch you wombat !' and the miser says 'You can live with that craptastic 8GB 3G Touch for another year, spanky'. Its tough with all these competing urges :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 27
You shouldn't just live with it for another year. It's a BIG jump from a 3g to the new model. You get Retina Display, and a much thinner body, as well as cameras. And RETINA DISPLAY.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys - greatly appreciated. The geek in me wants the iPad, the music lover says 'Get the Touch you wombat !' and the miser says 'You can live with that craptastic 8GB 3G Touch for another year, spanky'. Its tough with all these competing urges :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 27
I dont get too caught up on the gimmickry, and there just arent enough attractive women in my town to warrant a camera :)

If it just came down to music and the odd app (currently playing OverKill - mindless fun), I would stick with the Touch, but the prospect of being able to watch a movie on a decent size (not to mention gorgeous ..) screen really does tug at the corners of my wallet. Must be strong, must be s-t-r-o-n-g ......

Aaah, consumerism :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 27
I think you need to think about what you mostly want to do with your next device before you decide on one of them. What do you want to achieve when you get this device? Is it mostly for music listening while you're out? Web-browsing? Is the size a big issue for you? (Do you usually carry a backpack or something that you can put your ipad in and forget about it while you're on the move?)

I was in a similar dilema as you. But my goal was easy access to the internet, and mostly for reading up on something. I am a health science major and there are many times where some medicine, muscles, or something else that I'm not familar with. I have to then go to the library to read up on these things, but it's really annoying because the library is pretty far away from where I prefer to study. Also, I don't want to bring my laptop because unfortunately mine's quite bulky. Now, I didn't want to do much web browsing on the touch. I tried it using my sister's itouch and got tired of trying to close up on text, then having to move around every so often because I can't read the rest of the sentence. =[ So decided to go with the ipad.

Think about what you need first. If I were you, since you already have the touch, and since you don't need the camera, I'd try to look for a first generation ipad.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 27
Okay, forget the cameras.

Retina Display along with the added speed from generation to generation I'd still say is worth the upgrade (to me).

Still supporting that iPad 1g idea though. Touch AND an iPad. Oh boy.

Quote:
I dont get too caught up on the gimmickry, and there just arent enough attractive women in my town to warrant a camera :)

If it just came down to music and the odd app (currently playing OverKill - mindless fun), I would stick with the Touch, but the prospect of being able to watch a movie on a decent size (not to mention gorgeous ..) screen really does tug at the corners of my wallet. Must be strong, must be s-t-r-o-n-g ......

Aaah, consumerism :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back