325i and GS 1000 Big cups
Jan 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #17 of 27
Why should the mids suffer if you don't have distancers? Imo that's bullok. If you have some Grado's with jumbo-pads on them and press them against your ears, you can clearly hear the mids getting more forward. The farther away they are, the more the mids will suffer.

I never tried the jumbo pads on other Grado's (though I will do it soon on my SR-60) but I don't miss any mids from my HF-1. Of course the mids aren't as forward as before anymore, but that's just because the distance between the ears and speakers has increased - it's no way lacking though. (Edit: And I don't think that liberators would make them more present.)

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 27
Monumentum, could you take a picture of your HF-1 with the jumbo pads? I'm curious to see what they look like. And could you also comment on the soundstage?

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #19 of 27
Sorry I'm a bit busy right now (3 exams this week) but it looks very similar to the one posted here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ale...arning-323271/

In the first pic you can clearly see where the pad would normally stay in place. So the cups are about half an inch narrower without liberators.

The soundstage transforms from "not available" with bowls to "large" with jumbo-pads.

Edit: The midrange becomes "smooth", "well-balanced" and "clear" with jumbo-pads where it was "overwhelming" and muddying the overall sound a bit before. Of course this is with HF-1 and may be different on other Grados. From what I know 325i have more treble power. This could lead to the treble killing the rest. Then the midrange might sound too thin. If you manage to tame the highs a bit with further modding it should be fine again.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why should the mids suffer if you don't have distancers? Imo that's bullok. If you have some Grado's with jumbo-pads on them and press them against your ears, you can clearly hear the mids getting more forward. The farther away they are, the more the mids will suffer.

I never tried the jumbo pads on other Grado's (though I will do it soon on my SR-60) but I don't miss any mids from my HF-1. Of course the mids aren't as forward as before anymore, but that's just because the distance between the ears and speakers has increased - it's no way lacking though. (Edit: And I don't think that liberators would make them more present.)

I tried the GS1000 pads on my MS-1 and it made the mids sound really weird. Totally messed them up.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 27
As I said the Alessandros seem to have less mids (a more balanced sound) by default, while Grados in general seem to have more of the in-your-face midrange.

May 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of ordering some from Todd, Anyone have any last minute opinions?

...'nuff said.
icon10.gif

-HK sends

Attachment 16928

Attachment 16929

May 16, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #26 of 27
I have tried the GS-1000 pads on my MS-1, with and without the distancer. The difference is almost negligible to my untrained audiophile ear. It was too much work to A/B test with only one set of MS-1, GS-1000 pads and distancers. I will be attending a mini meet with a couple of friends, which one also happen to have a pair of stock MS-1. I'll post some impressions after the meet.

May 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's amazing how only a few photos can push me over the edge.

Interestingly, I originally bought the donuts for the comfort factor. I can wear these puppies all day and not feel like I'm wearing sandpaper on my ears (like the original pads). I have come to enjoy the sound as a bonus...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back